Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall not activating at Start-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thomasd

thomasd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello
I have noticed that windows firewall does activate at startup and I get a warning from the security center that the firewall is disabled. When trying to enable it manually through the Control Panel I get a message "Due to an unidentified problem windows firewall settings cannot be displayed". But after two minutes the firewall is enabled by itself and everything is back to normal.

Also while the firewall in disabled the security center cannot identify the status of the Spy Sweeper in the icon tray but after the firewall is turned on it appears. I tried removing Spy Sweeper to determine if that would correct the issue. The firewall still does not activate at start-up. I have also run 4 online virus sweeps. My virus protection is Eset. There is no indication of virus or spyware on the system.

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

What OS are you using?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 thomasd

thomasd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Blade - I have Micosoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

#4 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

I had this issue a bit ago. I think you need to be connected to the internet. I was worried when I got the " Due to an unidentified problem" message, but when my computer connected to the internet it was back to normal. I didn't get a warning that it was turned off though, I was just browsing through the control panel, and I looked in there. I mean, the point of a firewall is to protect you from online attacks. Without the "online" part, it can't turn on, the " unidentified problem" in question.

#5 thomasd

thomasd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

Solved the start-up issue. The Roxio Media Manager on the Blackberry desktop manager was trying to download/connect and couldn't finish. Consequently, it was freezing the entire computer for about 90 seconds. I re-installed the Blackberry manager less the Roxio and the computer is now operating correctly.

#6 Lynch30

Lynch30

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Solved the start-up issue. The Roxio Media Manager on the Blackberry desktop manager was trying to download/connect and couldn't finish. Consequently, it was freezing the entire computer for about 90 seconds. I re-installed the Blackberry manager less the Roxio and the computer is now operating correctly.

Nice job thomasd, after searching all over the place for a couple weeks for a fix, your resolution fixed my issue. Uninstalling BB Desktop manager and reinstalling minus Roxio did it!

Thanks much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users