Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to fully uninstall .net framework 3.5?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XdrumfreakX

XdrumfreakX

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

How to fully uninstall .net framework 3.5?
i tried uninstalling from add/remove programs and i think it's still inside my computer due to the space that was taken up..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

I'm going to assume you are using Windows XP, so I shall move this topic to that forum.

Have you tried using system restore to a point just before installing .net framework 3.5?

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 XdrumfreakX

XdrumfreakX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

i am sorry that i forgot to state which OS i am using.. it's actually vista.
And no, i did not use any system restore to a point before installing it..

i tried uninstalling the updates too, but it didn't work..

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for clarifying the OS. I'll move this over to the Vista forum then.

I am completely unfamiliar with Vista, so you'll have to wait for another to assist you.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

Check for any leftovers with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Do you care for some tools for that?

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

#7 XdrumfreakX

XdrumfreakX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:16 AM

Thanks to the both of you for your help of the tools..

I have tried the cleanup tool and they said it was a success. how to know whether it has already removed? and does it "return" back the amt of space that was taken up by .net framework 3.5?

#8 InsanityOnABun

InsanityOnABun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

If the cleanup tool says that its cleaned up, then its cleaned up.

I'm curious, however, as to why you want to remove it.
As the veil of lunacy descends...

#9 XdrumfreakX

XdrumfreakX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

thanks!

i want to remove it because i installed it for just one application that i wanna use, and i didn't like that application.. so i think there isn't any point to continue keeping the newer version of .net framework..

it wouldn't affect much right?

#10 InsanityOnABun

InsanityOnABun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

Well, there's a whole lot of programs out there that rely on the .NET framework. It honestly uses up very little space, and it hurts nothing by being left on the computer.

Wait, you said "the newer version of .net framework" so that would mean that you updated the framework, not installed it. Whatever old version you had went with version 3.5. I would seriously suggest reinstalling it, as chances are you'll be needing it again in the future, and like I said, it takes up very little space and causes no issues with it just sitting on your computer.
As the veil of lunacy descends...

#11 Score_Under

Score_Under

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well, there's a whole lot of programs out there that rely on the .NET framework. It honestly uses up very little space, and it hurts nothing by being left on the computer.

Wait, you said "the newer version of .net framework" so that would mean that you updated the framework, not installed it. Whatever old version you had went with version 3.5. I would seriously suggest reinstalling it, as chances are you'll be needing it again in the future, and like I said, it takes up very little space and causes no issues with it just sitting on your computer.

No, .NET frameworks version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 are pretty much separate products when it comes to how it behaves when it's installed.

And they each take up an ungodly amount of space.
In the system requirements - # Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB of available space may be required
If I recall correctly, I haven't had that much space free on my home computer in a very long time.

It's not just a case of "Well upgrade then!" because 1. Money, 2. Uninstalling .NET is free, and 3. You can always convince the developer to move on to a better language.

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

On Vista x64, I used the tool to cleanup .NET. But I still found assembly folder on system drive, had to manually delete it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users