Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Read only not removing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thrashernyc

thrashernyc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Ok, So I'm having the whole "read only" not removing problem. I Changed permission and took ownership of the whole folder and tried following other forum posts that I've seen with people having the same problem but nothing is working. I have changed ownership and permission to myself. I have full control of folder under the security. I open properties and uncheck "Read Only" and click apply then ok. close properties and when i re-open properties there it is again a nice blue box in "Read Only" and nothing i can do seems to be helping. Im running Vista x64 Ultimate Edition.

Before i get flamed with the whole "search is your friend" or any of those posts i know im probably going to get. I did search and tried many methods i've come across in the searches. I know im probably missing something minute and hopefully will get this fixed quickly but i don't know what im missing. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Which folder is it and what exactly are you wanting to do with it?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 thrashernyc

thrashernyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Every file and folder in my C: drive. i'd like to be able to modify or change any file on my C drive. Not system files but all other files. As of now i get access denied because everything is read only.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Have you tried turning off UAC?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 thrashernyc

thrashernyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

Just tried it. UAC is now off but i Still have Read Only on all files and folders. Wont go away. lol

#6 will2k

will2k

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

check this

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

it might come useful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users