Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting data from a corrupt hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have a HP Notebook that has two hard drives. One C drive and one D drive. I have my windows XP Partition on the C Drive. I am trying to extract all the info from my D Drive and put it onto an External Hard drive. For some reason it is just not letting me transfer the files. I have tried to send and copy them over with no luck. I have tried using Acronis T.Image, but doesn't work (tells me that there is bad sectors and can't transfer). Tried using bootable disks (UBCD 4 Win, Drive XML, Norton partition manager 9.0 etc. As soon as I start extracting files it gives me and error message and asks if I want to ignore, retry etc. What would you suggest. I was going to run a disk check on this D drive, but I am afraid of it wiping out some of my files. Is there another bootable disk that I should use for extracting my files. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

If you've already received an error message indicating that data files are in bad sectors of the hard drive...I don't see where you have any choice but to try to run chkdsk /r to move files from bad sectors to good sectors.

Louis

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the input! How long does the Disk check usually take ( through windows). It has lasted nearly one full day. It seems like it is stuck at 0% on stage 5. Is stage 5 the last stage and does it do more checking once windows starts. It's actually the E drive that has files, but no operating system. It kept giving me an error code when I would try and transfer files or back files up through a bootable disk. Ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

A disk check may take several hours...depends pretty much on:

a. The size of the partition in question.

b. The need for a complete (5-step) disk check. The longer the partition has gone without one, the longer it may take.

And the time depends on what is found during the check.

If it's stuck on stage 5, that should be OK. Stage 5 is when it does the proper calculation of free and used space on the partition.

<<...or back files up through a bootable disk>>

I guess that I don't know what you mean. What bootable disk were you employing to back up files?

<<I have a HP Notebook that has two hard drives. One C drive and one D drive.>> AND <<It's actually the E drive that has files, but no operating system.>>

I guess that I don't understand this at all...I hope it's not important.

Louis

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the advice! My basic dilemma is this: I have the operating system on my C drive and the E drive is full of music and I just used it to store things. I am trying to get the music off the E drive as I am pretty sure that this drive is totally corrupt. I have tried to use Acronis in Windows, Acronis with a bootable disk, Norton partition Magic 9.0 to extract my music files onto an external hard drive. When I go to do this it say's error and won't let me transfer. This is why I thought that I must try and replace some bad sectors on the Drive and hopefully get my data off. Since I posted this morning windows did finish step 5. Once I go home I will check to see if I can get my data off the drive. Have you ever used the program Disk Doctors for extracting corrupt files. Any other ideas for me. Appreciate the help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Chkdsk /r is the only manner I've ever used to move (not extract) data from bad sectors to good sectors.

I might guess that any good recovery software program might...I don't know because all of my efforts with recovery software involved situations where I could not pinpoint the reason for my inability to access...to bad sectors.

In theory, it seems that recovery software would allow removal of the data from the suspect partition to another...but using recovery software is always a case of "we'll see."

Some programs that others have mentioned here which relate to data recovery:

TestDisk - Recoveery Software - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home - http://www.recuva.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

I have confidence (I have used successfully) in GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm but it's a paid version and people here in need of recovery software generally tend to prefer "free" solutions which are offered. Me, I don't mind paying for a service rendered, where I believe that the value of the service exceeds the amount of money.

There are other programs/methods, but the above are the ones I have some familiarity with, by virtue of hearsay or experiemce/

Louis

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Louis,

Thanks so much for all your great advice! I will try some of the programs that you have mentioned. I will keep you posted on if I can get my data off the E Drive. Craig

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

Louis,

Can you tell me the best way to use the GetDataBack program for my issue. I don't mind paying for it either if it is as good as you say. To use it in a bootable CD do I have to download BartPeCD. Can I just install it on the C Drive where XP is installed and extract the files from E Drive to my external drive. When would you use the bootable CD vs the actual program on the regular windows partition. Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

I just install it in Windows.

It will then boot into a DOS window mode, just as some backup programs do (because it's difficult to compress/backup files which are in use).

You will select destination and target partitions.

I don't use USB-connected hard drives...so you may want to check if it will move data to such. The only reason I say that is that USB drivers may not load without XP being open...thus the application may not see a USB-connected drive. Read the instructions/FAQ carefully before spending.

In any case, you can try it before buying it...to get the feel of what it does, when it does it, etc. You won't be able to save anything, but you will be able to see how it operates, whether it can detect data on your troubled drive, if it sees the external drive as a viable location for moving files onto.

Another alternative to consider is a linux distro, but I don't do linux and have no familiarity with using such. Others here do.

Louis

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the help with my data recovery issue. I liked getdataBack and may buy a copy. Appreciate you helping me through this issue.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Just passing it on...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 BibeRche

BibeRche

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi ppl,
I don't know if this is right place for this question, but this is the problem:

Today my servicer reinstall my C: drive.. all of my pics and music were on D: which was 100 GB, and 98 GB taken.
but now, D: is still 100 GB, and 98 GB taken, but the files are gone, and when I click on D:\Documents and Settings\My\My Documents (that is the folder where they were befor reinstal) it say's
"D:\Documents and Settings\My\My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied."
Now I have empty D: with only 2 GB free.. I know that I must format D:, but can I somehow take back the files :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: ?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Why do you say "the files are gone"?

That "access denied" message can be overcome, I suspect that your files are there...

Take a look, try this: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#14 BibeRche

BibeRche

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

That "access denied" message can be overcome, I suspect that your files are there...

Take a look, try this: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

I sayed that the files are gone because when I point my mouse over the "My documents" (not click on it) it says "Folder is empty" but when I go 2 folders up, it says that is 98 GB taken :| ... my D: drive is full, but there are no files in it :|

#15 BibeRche

BibeRche

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

Louis

I sayed that the files are gone because when I point my mouse over the "My documents" (not click on it) it says "Folder is empty" but when I go 2 folders up, it says that is 98 GB taken :| ... my D: drive is full, but there are no files in it :|

Problem is solved, I taked the ownership back.. Thanks to This link ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Louis :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users