Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partioning a Hard Drive for XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JR.

JR.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

Ok I have an old laptop thats got a few problems on it and I want to reformat the Hard Drive and reload the original copy or Windows XP. The HD Drive is only 20G but I would like to partioning part of it just for the OS and the rest left for my data. My Question is how much should I partion for the OS? 2G, 5G ??????

many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Check the current size of used space on your hdd now. Figure out roughly how much of that is data and how much of that is taken up by Windows and the other programs you plan to install. This will give you a rough idea of what partition sizes will work for you.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

It all depends on what you are going to install over XP.

Clean XP install uses less than 1GB space. Then you install updates, it goes over 1GB. You install MSOffice, it adds nearly 1GB more. You install Visual Studio, it would add 3GB more. Besides that Windows needs some free space for normal operation.

So you note down all software you want to install, and then you would be able to judge better that how much XP needs. Trust me XP is hungry :thumbsup:

#4 JR.

JR.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

OK thanks for all your suggestions

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

You need to consider having enough space for programs that require a C: path and enough space Windows defrag to run, I ran into both of those issues on my old drive. I got to a point where it did not want to defrag and hunting down links to make programs work from the other partition is a pain. You must put some thought into the process.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users