Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro vs vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjwoodie

rjwoodie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:42 AM

hey there people iv just bought a compaq v3000 laptop loaded with vista home.
i hate vista and was wanting to install my copy of xp pro on it.
is this ok to do? as its not lettingme do it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

XP will not do a normal install when using the XP cd. To the best of my knowledge it will see a newer OS installed and not allow it. A third party software will be need`d to wipe the drive to zero`s followed by formatting the drive using the XP cd then you will be able to do the install.

A suggestion if I may before you go any further. Check the HP\Compaq website for XP drivers for your make and model. Is THIS your lap top? Looks like they have the drivers. If not then you may have to dig a bit deeper and find out the hardware specs for the lap top. Then go to the individual OEM hardware manufacturers site to get XP drivers, if they even exist.

Go ahead and download the need`d drivers. If you have another computer with Internet access then this is not a big problem, if not then this will save you a bunch of headaches if you go ahead with the format. Burn them to a CD or place them on a flash drive for future use.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Not sure if this is of any help but Staples will pull Vista off and install XP on new lap tops purchased there, I asked about it as I also have Vista. My luck they had one new XP machine in stock, their tech said it was pretty simple but requires a few different drivers besides the reload. Do a search on the vendors site they may have what you need there.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 kituhi1234

kituhi1234

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:22 AM

hey don worry people....

its a simple thing...

using internet first download all d required drivers for yur lap model( choose XP OS option wen downloadin drivers)
1.BIOS update
2.Audio Drivers
3.LAN drivers
4.video driver update (f yu hav a dedicated graphics card lik nvidia,ati etc n yur laptop).download it frm the manufacturer site

tis s almost enuf...k
note: check for the versions of drivers wen downloadin (32bit r 64 bit) k

now put yur XP disk n dvd/cd drive n boot frm cd... format Vista drive (C:/) ten do a free install of XP.. tats it

95% of work s over..

remainin 5 % s abt yur drivers installing order...
install d drivers n d order tat i hav specified above.. tats it..yu r dun :thumbsup:

ten install Antivirus wid recent updates....hope everythn works fine

#5 rjwoodie

rjwoodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:20 AM

hey everyone.
thaks for all yahelp on this topic.
sorted the problem now.