Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the meaning of life?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

Well in your opinion, what is the meaning of life?

I know no two people will probably have the same answer, but I'd like to see what other people think.

Personally I think that the meaning of life is to not die and to make the most of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

To serve the lord jesus christ with all your heart mind and soul.

#3 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:21 AM

The answer to the question of the meaning of life is......

Honestly though, that's a pretty difficult question...... allow me to ponder :thumbsup:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

Hmmm... to me the meaning of live is to make sure that your life has meaning. No you do not need to be a Nobel Prize winner, discover the cure for cancer, or anything like that. Just be a good person.

Be a moral, law abiding, ethical, and upstanding individual. You will then have a wonderful, sastifying life. Full of meaning, and personal satisfaction. No matter what happens to disrupt your world. Knowing in your heart, that you are good and true. Will give you the strength to carry on.

The "Golden Rule" says it all.
"Do onto other's, as you would do onto yourself"

Nuff said. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

I am a muslim and the meaning of life to me is to spread God's message of Islam, if not a group, atleast 1 person. Oh, and to seek eternal pleasure from God.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

I gotta agree with scarlett on this one. I think a life has meaning when it is used to help others, or make a difference in the world. If you don't accomplish anything with your life, then it doesn't really have meaning. If you're able to help someone else, even if it's just helping THEM accomplish something, then the life was worth something.

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

we are also supposed to help people, and make better people out of them.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:01 PM

Skipping over religion for a moment...

I think the meaning of life for all species is to reproduce and keep your species in existance. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

Edited by Lanscader, 18 July 2005 - 11:02 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#9 Ynse

Ynse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:35 AM

Have fun be happy, and lend a hand when asked

#10 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :) :) :P :) still pondering.....
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:15 PM

"An unexamined life is not worth living." writes Plato ( Apology 38a). I have always thought that each of us by examining our own lives, come to some sort of understanding about its meaning through this continual process. It is also interesting that Plato puts this slogan in the mouth of Sokrates, who spent his life questioning common beliefs and searching for truth, which " is always hidden."
In today's world, everyone seems to understand the meaning of life and casually toss off laundry lists of how others ought to live; yet at the same time there is a tremendous undercurrent of uncertainty hiidden by desperate clinglings to whatever others choose to provide for daily consumption. In the end, Sokrates does not achieve a final meaning, but in the process he and his listeners begin to understand what it means to discuss the subject and bring to it some depth.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 July 2005 - 12:16 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

john definitely does have a valid point excluding (spirituality). I say that merely because the word religion has bad connotations to me. I do not agree with any organized religion. I had religion crammed down my throat by well meaning and loving christian folks who, in the same breath, wanted to criticize me for wanting to explore the feminine side of my complexity.(which, by the way, is the dominant side of my personality, down to the xxy chromosomes.) but these good people could only see what they could see on the exterior. Maleness. This caused me a lot of internal conflict, because i did, do, and will always love God. So I took it upon myself to read the Bible end to end until i found what i sought. And that is why I would say that it would be very difficult to answer that question without spirituality.

My answer to the question:

To love God first

to love yourself second

and to love people and all of Gods creatures third.

That was the answer given to me after reading. Follow those rules, and all others are a moot point.

that also, by the way, is the creed for the cherokee nation, of which i am proud to belong.

(hope all you guys are in a forgiving mood, I seem to be in one of my "waxing philosophic" moods today! :thumbsup:

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

Yes the meaning of life is: 42! lol

No seriously my view on life is to make the most of it. Why live for nothing, come on now we weren't put here to sit around eating potato chips and watching re-runs fomr the 70's. Do something! Life a little, make the most of life that you can! Get up off your lazy ass, and do something. Whether its volunteering, programming, having a job. God had a meaning for each of us, and until we reach the point where we realize that we are satisfied with what God has chosen (or not, if you don't believe in fate) for us.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

I believe the meaning of life is to serve Jesus. And to help others.

#15 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

yanowhiz that's a great one-liner! 42!
jgweed, as usual, your philosophical quotes, give me pause. Thanks!
And basically every one seems to be on the same page. Be nice!
I think the meaning of life is to be true to your self.
Any body notice, that 42, turned up side down, looks like 2b, or 'to be'!
..........dpb.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users