Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird network problem!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xflash08

xflash08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Greetings everyone!,

I'm new to this forum but I found it amazingly helpful; once more I seek answers here but my question is regarding a strange problem I'm having and seems impossible for me to fix.

About two weeks from now I started experiencing an incredible decrease in my internet speed, but it results in a weird set of facts: when I visit www.speedtest.net to test my internet speed it shows the correct speed its suppose to show (the one I bought to my ISP) but when I download files most of the time the speed decreases 80-90% and its extremely annoying! websites load perfectly fine (most of the times! not always) and things like YouTube videos load very (very) slow.

I called my ISP obviously and they said everything was OK. So I thought it was my Wireless Router; I disconnected the router and plugged my computer directly to my ISP's modem, didn't work. Then I thought it could be my computer, I tried the other PCs at home and even brought a friend's Laptop and didn't work.

So I'm practically desperate right now and I don't know what to do, my last hope is to call my ISP and make them come over to see if there is some sort of cable connection problem but I don't think so I mean, why would www.speedtest.net (and several other speed test sites) display the correct speed and I experience different when I really use my internet?!

Let me know if you need any info on my settings and I'll provide them to you.

Please help me!!
Thanks!,
Xflash08.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

What changed in your network or PC when this started?

When you say you disconnected from the router and directly to the modem and it didn't work. Do you mean it didn't speed up? Also other PCs and your friend's laptop didn't make a difference in speed?

What is the make/model of the modem and router you use?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 xflash08

xflash08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Nothing really changed, I tried to determine what could have possibly made my Internet speed change (software, hardware or any other type pf change) and I couldn't find anything! I even restored my computer to a month before the problem and nothing happened.

Yes, when I said I connected my ISP's modem directly to my computer and nothing changed I meant that the speed didn't increase nor decrease (same thing as when I connected other PCs to the network, the speed didn't change).

My ISP's modem is a Motorola Model: SB5101, and my Wireless Router is a NEXXT Solutions Wireless-G AP router.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

The fact you connected directly to the modem with more than 1 PC and nothing changed has me baffled.

I am assuming your ISP had you reboot your modem(i.e. unplug the power for like 5 mins)?

Type 192.168.100.1 in a browser and hot Enter. On the page that comes up click Signal. What is the Signal to Noise ratio for your downstream and the Power level of the Upstream?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 DCWyld

DCWyld

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

Working at an ISP for years gives me some insight on your problem. It might be possible that the line itself going to the house could be picking up interference. Thinks like squirrel chews, bad amps or nodes, general noise on the line could be a problem. Could also be possible that the ISP is having DNS issues, this is how the signal is routed from your location to the end location. A large number of "Hops" can make the connection jumpy or possibly not work at all. If you open a DOS command prompt and type in something like (ping -t www.yahoo.com) you should see replies back and the time to reply should be fairly consistent. If they go up and down all over the place, you should contact your ISP. Hoe this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users