Do I need to anything further like removing ComboFix.exe from my system? Please advise.
Yes, we will do that in a minute.
Please confirm the following to make it 100% sure.
1. Is my computer completely free from malware/spyware/trojan and virus?
2. Can I trust my computer and do all my bank accounts accessing?
3. Can I do online shopping in my computer?
4. Can I scan my computer with "ESET OnlineScan" as and when I feel? Is it safe?
2. Yes, but be aware that the removal included backdoor malware. If it can get in then it potentially could get back in.
4. Yes, ESET is a neat little scanner which finds infected files, etc rather than the malware itself. I would recommend using it just to do a quick check if you suspect something before you go any further. Scanning a PC does not damage it.
Also right now I'm using McAfee Total Protection anti virus. Is it safe or do I need to get rid of McAfee?
McAfee is a recommended program for antivirus use. Do not remove it unless you are replacing it.
Also please advise me the BEST free anti-virus software for my fiance's computer. I read some good reviews about "Avast! Anti virus". Please advise, if this software is OK.
I can only recommend that I use Avast and find it less of a resource hog (I'm on Vista, that's important) and it autoupdates as well.
To the final instructions. Please complete the housekeeping, it will help keep the PC safe and performing well.
------------------------------Your log is clean. Good stuff! Let's firstly do some housekeepingDelete ComboFix and Clean Up
and type combofix /u
(Note the space between combofix and /u)Please advise if this step is missed for any reason as it performs some important actions.Download and Run OTC
We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC
Here's a list of ways you can avoid problems in the future:Update your AntiVirus Software
- Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
- Double click icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
- Then Click the big button.
- You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
- Restart your computer when prompted.
It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.Make sure your applications have all of their updates
It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector
and Calendar of Updates.Use a Firewall
I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:Understanding and Using FirewallsInstall an AntiSpyware Program
A highly recommended AntiSpyware program is SuperAntiSpyware
. You can download the free Home Version. or the Pro version for a 15 day trial period.
Other recommended, and free, AntiSpyware programs are Spybot - Search and Destroy
and Ad-Aware Personal
Installing these programs will provide spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with an AntiSpyware program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
Tutorials on using these programs can be found below:Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and HijackersUsing Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your ComputerThat's it HaiSiraj, happy surfing!