Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Usage Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Percy

Percy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hello.

I am using my family's Windows XP. There are 6 user accounts. on this computer.
Every time someone logs-in to their account, logs-out, then I log-in, the CPU usage is at 50%, and never goes any lower then 50%, even when idle. This computer is exceptionally slow to start with.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to stop this and to speed up my computer. But one of the biggest problems I have is that my dad will NOT let me download anything to help the computer. AND we have Norton Internet Security, and I can't get rid of it because my dad just loves it. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

Try running these online viruse and spyware scans.

TrendMicro Online Scan
PandaSoft Online Scan

These two will help you out since you cant download anything. Another thing which you didnt here from me is download Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AntiVir. after your done just unistall the programs and your dad should be none the wiser.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

Have you made sure that each account is logged off before you log onto another one?

And my rule for computers with many accounts is 1 account per person max. You should never need more than 5 accounts.

#4 Percy

Percy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yes, I'm sure that their logged off. And there's 6 people in my family, all of which use the computer.

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

HI after you have tried that if it does not run any faster or CPU does not drop then, you could try installing an extra fan, because the cooler it is the better it runs, also you might have to up the ram, one program i do run and have installed is ram idle, that way if you use more memory than you should it free's it up frm somewhere else, how much ram havee you got installed, if 256 then insert another stick same make of 256 that too will make you run faster.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

I also reccomend download bleep cleaner
This will clean out the deep roots of useless files on your machine. You will definately knotice a difference in performance.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

With your Dad's policy, certainly short sighted, you are going to be limited to what you can do. Running scandisk and defragging on a routine basis, and encouraging every user to keep the hard drive clean of unneeded files is about the best action you can take.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

The main reason that some user accounts use more resources than others is that there are probably many more programs in the start menus in the higher usage accounts.

Use ctrol/alt/del when you log on, click on "task manager" and shut down unnecessary programs running in the background. (be sure to leave Norton, whatever other security programs and the firewall on though!)

#9 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

Although i agree with you enthusiast, they could just use msconfig

Click start>click run> in the dialog box type msconfig>click the startup tab>disable everything except your antivirus.

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

Before one disables anything in the "Startups" through "msconfig"

It is always best to check the entries against :

Bleeping Computers Startup Database

Each entry in the database will have a Status assigned to it. The key to this status is the following:
Y - This status flag means that this entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.
N - This status flag means it is unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.
U - This status flag means it is up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically.
X - This status flags means the item should definitely not start up automatically. Items that have this flag are generally malware such as viruses, trojans, hijackers, spyware, etc.
? - This status flag means the status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary.

Edited by Scarlett, 14 July 2005 - 10:18 AM.

Posted Image

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

Just to be sure are you using fast user switching? If so that could be your problem, when a user is "switched" the other users still use system resources. I know you said you logout, then login, just making sure.
Also when you experience the CPU @50% problem, go to task manager and click process's at the top, see what process is using the CPU.

EDITS:dang typo's

Edited by QQQQ, 14 July 2005 - 10:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users