Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little trouble here...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

I just got back from the movies(The movie Orphan, by the way, is a terrific film.), blah blah blah, and after a bit of trouble with our dogs and a skunk, I finally got to use my computer. I was going to go to the casual collective and play a few games, however, my computer did something very weird. I turned it on, it showed the HP screen, then the windows loading screen, then the disk check program, which I usually skip, but after that came a quick bluesceen and then the computer restarts. After a few trys (After trying the last known good configuration) I let the disk check do its thing. That was at eleven thirty. After it did the disk check, the problem was fixed. I received a pop-up saying that windows had recovered from a serious error, and I sent the error report log. afterwards, Firefox opened up this page: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Respons...a02727178f#here . Now, I read the thing, and I'm wondering: is this a serious thing, or was it just an error caused by me not running disk check? I'm really hoping its just the latter. Please respond soon, I really don't want to wake up tomorrow, turn on my computer, and find that windows cannot find the operating system or some B/S like that. I also don't wanna do all the B/S they recommend. Also, I don't want to hear " Your going to have to do this, then this, and then this, this, and this." I want either "Do this and you're done" or "You're in trouble, bud!" If its " This,this, this, this, this after you do this, then this, this, this" I'll just buy another computer.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 October 2009 - 03:28 PM.
Mod edit: removed profanity - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

I think its because you skip disk check all the time. Why Windows want to run a disk check in first place? Do you turn off computer improperly? Many problem arise from avoiding disk check. So keep doing a disk check regularly and stay happy.

#3 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Romeo. And yes, I do turn off my computer improperly. But sometimes its good. One time I was browsing youtube with a proxy and some popup said " Your computer is infected with SPYWARE! Get a FREE SCAN now!" that looked like a windows thing. When that pops up, the smartest thing to do is shut it down fast. You don't know if its gonna download automatically, you don't know anything. All I knew was that its most likely a rogue, no, DEFINITELY a rogue.

#4 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

I would just run the disk check. It doesn't take up that much time, and it can prevent, or help to prevent catastrophic data loss.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Romeo. And yes, I do turn off my computer improperly. But sometimes its good. One time I was browsing youtube with a proxy and some popup said " Your computer is infected with SPYWARE! Get a FREE SCAN now!" that looked like a windows thing. When that pops up, the smartest thing to do is shut it down fast. You don't know if its gonna download automatically, you don't know anything. All I knew was that its most likely a rogue, no, DEFINITELY a rogue.

For visiting sites like that use SandBoxie. I do :thumbsup:
Open web browser under SandBoxie. But still take much care using Firefox and NoScript etc. After you are done browsing just delete all contents of SandBoxie :flowers: Your real system wont be affected. Sandboxie traps all calls to Registry and stores changes made to files temporarily, keeping real system safe. You can optionally make them permanent (DO NOT!).

Download from : http://www.sandboxie.com/

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

A lot of them can be closed by opening Task Manager and ending the program. No need to shut down the system.

#7 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

The delete key doesn't work on my laptop. Nor does my L/R arrow keys, plus/equals key, backslash/vertical line key, or my Print Screen key. At least I don't think it works. I can't take screen shots. So I can't use Ctrl Alt Del

Edited by ComputerNutjob, 02 August 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

You don't have to use ctrl alt delete to bring up task manager.
RIGHT CLICK on an empty portion of the bottom toolbar (the area to the left of the clock and your icons).
Choose Task Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users