Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Flickering on and off and screen freezes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 musicstore

musicstore

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hi everyone,when i turn on my computer it start to flicker on and off,a message show that there a missing autohnk file.Sometimes the screen freezes,the mouse icon disappear and the computer got a stop error message in the blue screen and is auto swtich off.Later it is on again with another error message and the screen resolution become poor and computer is off again

i try re-format my computer,change another working monitor but the problem still occur.I re seat my video card but it still do not solve the problem.

I also try to change the setting such as the refresh, the acceleration and the resolution,the screen just freeze or start to flicker.

However when i use safe mode,everything is normal but when i change any display setting in safe mode,it start to flicker,freeze,etc.

I am able to use in VGA mode,the screen still flicker a little but the screen does not freeze.

Anyone know what going on and encounter this problem before?Thanks in advance

I'm using Ms window XP home sp1
Intel Pentium 4 256mb ram
HP LCD flat monitor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

You did not state the type of graphics card.

Check for updated drivers for it. After you have downloaded the newest drivers uninstall the old ones. Restart the computer and install the new ones.

You may also want to check the monitor cable and monitor. Do you have access to another computer that you can hook them up to?

#3 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply,for the monitor part i already try it on another computer and it works.
As for the video card,i'm using NVIDIA Genforce FX5200,i did not know where to find the drivers to update and what drivers i should use, any clues??

Edited by musicstore, 02 August 2009 - 07:54 AM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

Start HERE. Use the drop down menus to enter all the proper information for you card and operating system.

#5 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

i'm not sure whether what i did is correct,i went to the link,download the file,extract it,and restart.
Later i went to device manager,and update the driver and restart again but the screen still flicker and all this is done under VGA mode cause if i use the normal mode my computer will flick and freeze. But now it seems that it flicker more often

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

Did you uninstall the original graphics driver first?

#7 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

ok,i'm not sure whether i have uninstall or not,
i went to device manager,click on the displayer adapter go to uninstall driver,restart but i still see there list of files under driver file details??

when i uninstall there a warning,there are some property sheet open ,please dismiss this dialogue else mmc will cancel it and then there an error msg of end program-mmc.exe the system cannot end this prog before waiting a response from you................

Edited by musicstore, 02 August 2009 - 08:43 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Did you check in Add\Remove programs?

#9 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

k i have check the add/remove program,there no program for nvidia,so now i just install the new ones by just extracting the file i get from the link??

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

Check the version of the driver currently installed. Compare it to the version of the driver you downloaded.
I am wondering if you run Windows updates that you did not get a bad driver. The last Nvidia driver I got from them hosed my graphics as well. Grabbed the proper one from the Nvidia site and the problem was fixed.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 August 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#11 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Hey thanks the flickering stop now(even in normal mode)and it did not freeze,only problem is the resolutions,it cannot be set at better,it is because i did not download a good driver?if so which one is good,and can i conclude that my video card is alright?

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Let me try to understand just where we are at.

You now have the driver from the Nvidia link I provided installed? If it is the GeForce 5 FX series then you should have downloaded THIS driver.

What resolution is it now?

Check in Device manager. The resolution problem sounds like the driver is not installed.

#13 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Resolution is 800 by 60 colour quality is lowest by 4,can't increase,i download the driver from gen force 5 fx series i check the driver version from device manager,it is version 6.14.11.7519

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

In Device manager\Display adapters\ click on the + sign. Is your card properly identified?

If it is then right click on the Nvidia (insert proper name here)\properties\ Driver tab. What does it say next to "Driver Provider"?

#15 musicstore

musicstore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nvidia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users