Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i put an ATI 3670 AGP video card in an ECS p4vmm2 mobo?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

i want to upgrade my current ATI 9550 video card with an ATI HD3670 AGP card but my ATI 9550 only has ddr and the HD3670 is ddr2. can i upgrade to this?

i'm using an ECS p4vmm2 v8.1 motherboard with intel p4 2.26ghz processor overclocked to 2.41ghz. and windows xp pro 32bit planning to upgrade to 32 bit win vista home basic. with 510w PSU and 1.25 gb ram.

can i upgrade? explain why or why not. tnx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

As long as it has an AGP 4x or higher slot that supports 1.5 volt operation, you'll have no problems. Just install the card, and install the drivers.

#3 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

tnx. i'm going to buy this card after I buy a new PSU. will a 510w PSU work with my specs, with this?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

It should work. I don't suggest upgrading to Vista Home Basic since Windows 7 is only a few months away. Besides, Home Basic is very stripped down and lacks many features that Home Premium has. I wonder if there will be a bottleneck using that graphics card even though it is using AGP.

3939.png

#5 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

even though i really want to have the home premium version, i really can't do it because i'll be just a bit higher than the minimum requirements for RAM(1gb, mine is 1.25gb) and i don't want too much lag. do you really think the radeon HD3670 can be put in my ECS p4vmm2 motherboard that can only support AGP 4X? i've read in some websites that the HD3670 can is on AGP 8X and AGP 8X cards are operated on 0.8v(am i right here?).

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

I was told all AGP 8X are backwards compatable. So you should have no trouble with the 4X slot. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Vista won't run very well on that PC regardless of whether or not it is Home Premium. Windows 7 would do better on that PC since it has been optimized for PC's with lower specs.. The free Windows 7 Release Candidate is still available at Microsoft if you want to check for yourself.

3939.png

#8 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:19 AM

i wouldn't want to consider windows 7 yet because it's released just months ago and i doubt if all the programs i use support windows 7 already. i would consider it maybe after 2 years, though.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

People have been testing Windows 7 since last year. If the programs ran on Vista they will very likely run on 7 since they both share most of the same underlying technologies. I'm running the 7 Release Candidate and can confirm that all the software I ran on Vista runs under 7. Even the vast majority of hardware drivers for Vista work in 7. However, if this is a business computer with a large number of mission critical, custom made applications, then there may be issues since some businesses choose to ignore conventions and code as they see fit, ignoring possible upgrade avenues.

3939.png

#10 infinity92

infinity92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

tnx for the info DJBPace... upon hearing that i decided that i will try your suggestion. will older drivers work with windows 7 too? Because I have an old scanner and it took a long time for me to find a compatible driver for it for windows xp.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

IF the driver is available for Vista, it will work with 7. Some equipment is so old even Vista cannot run it. If you have a friend who has Vista, bring that old scanner over to their PC and see if it will work. Many of the scanner drivers are plug-and-play and Windows may be able to load a generic driver if there is no Vista driver available. Not all scanner features will be available if generic drivers are used, but at least the scanner might work.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users