Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player - Codecs, etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLiter

DarkLiter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

First off, hope this is in the right place...sure it falls under Video & Audio. If not, I apologize. I recently restored my computer from a backup to eliminate unwanted Codecs that i came to find out kept breaking using the K-lite Codec Pack full. I used this as I watch a wide variety of formats and I like using ONLY Windows Media Player so I don't need a thousand players installed. Is there a way for me to continue doing so without using a codec pack, as I've heard they aren't all that great for the computer?

I know Zoom Player and VLC are out there, but honestly..I'd really like to use Windows Media Player. (That and the Icon[s] for VLC are ugly..a traffic cone? Really? Yuck..) .mp4, .mkv, .rmvb, .flv, .avi, (can't remember if that's already covered by WMP11 or not), Xvid, DivX vids..I watch a lot of formats lol.

So would it be better for me to seek out codecs for these formats specifically, or should I just get another codec pack? If you could help me w/ a site for downloading specific codecs or a very reliable codec pack, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

[I just really like WMP and don't want 1000 video players on my computer]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

'Nuff said.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:03 AM

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

'Nuff said.

Agreed. . . awesome codec package. ffdshow plays tons of formats. There's one format that I watch sometimes that it doesn't play though. . . I can't remember which. It's either .ogm or .mkv files. I just use VLC for those. I don't think it does .rm files either. I don't usually watch .rm files, but as I recall the only trustworthy way to play them that I was able to find is just to bite the bullet and use RealPlayer. Someone else may have more insight than me on that particular matter though.

I will say this though. Be careful when you're looking for codec packs. There are a ton of fakes out there that can give you some really nasty malware. Stick to the well documented and widely recommended ones like ffdshow.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 02 August 2009 - 04:03 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, K-Lite had the ffdshows in it..I'll try this out and hope it covers everything I need, so that I don't have to get a ton of codecs I'll probably never use lol. I dont get the Real Media files that often, just every once in awhile I'll run into them. I guess if anything I can just convert the formats I don't have codecs for. Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated.

EDIT: lol it's not playing my .mp4 file. I dont know if i'm suppose to change the configuration of it? I only installed the default checked items. (except for MPEG-2 libavcodec option) I looked at the wiki on it's page and that didn't seem to help. I feel lost lol.

Edited by DarkLiter, 02 August 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#5 DarkLiter

DarkLiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Okay, I downloaded the Haali Media Splitter and that seems to allow it to play, however. When I try to change the program it opens with from Winamp to WMP, the icon on the file doesn't change...also WMP still prompts me that it doesn't recognize the file format, do I want to play? I could ignore it yes, but with these codecs, shouldn't it stop giving me that message?

EDIT: Okay, so I found out how to rid myself of the winamp associate through deleting it via Tools > Folder Options > File Types and creating my own for WMP. The extension issue still remains...so is there a way to MAKE wmp recognize the mp4 format or should I just tell it to ignore?

EDIT#2: UGH, every time I fix something, I find another problem. Without my codec pack, generating video thumbnails causes explorer to crash. I think I'm just going to suck it up and deal w/ the codec pack, cause seriously...I'm sick of fixing issues as soon as I fix a previous one. It's annoying as hello. I'll just install only the needed codecs instead of the FULL pack or something.

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by DarkLiter, 02 August 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#6 oscoda

oscoda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

After reading thru all these posts and getting totally confused. I can no longer play avi files. I used media player classic with klite codecs on win xp with no probs till now. Gspot says I am now missing divx 5 codex but even codex I do have wont play. why is a long story. I have no probs with any other formats. I am willing to scrap media player classic Since I plan to use that putr mostly for playing films and documentaries on my tv what is my best choice for player/codec? PS I am now on dialup so file size matters.

#7 oscoda

oscoda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

Disreguard oscoda... installed newest mpc prob solved thanks

Edited by oscoda, 25 March 2010 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users