Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help finding out if a HD is toast and installing it if it isn't dead.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 edgtrv

edgtrv

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

A few weeks ago, my network got hit by lightning and everything on the network got damage or completely broken, my desktop included. I replaced the desktop and now I want to see if my old IDE HD (a Western Digital Caviar SE) is dead. My GFX card and a fan I had put into still worked, so I had hopes for the HD. I bought IDE to SATA convertor from Amazon and tried to connect it to my new PC. The PC doesn't boot at all with it plugged, as a slave or as master or single. But, I'm not sure if I'm correctly plugging it in either. It came with this bundle. I plugged the wires in, but a lot of pictures for converters show another cable plugged in to the IDE power port of the HD as well. Do I need to buy one of those as well?

What's really confusing is that plugging in the IDE HD makes my new SATA HD not boot. Another thing of note, XP is on my old HD and Windows 7 is on the new one. But again, the IDE HD doesn't boot at all, so I don't think that there is a problem there, at least not yet.

While looking around on my PC just now I came across the fact that the SATA controller is not installed on my PC. How do I tell what I need and where do I get it? This is a tigerdirect barebones kit that I customized, so support is rather limited.

Any tips would be great, I'm heading in to work now and I'll check this when I get off in the morning.

Edited by edgtrv, 01 August 2009 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

You need the power connector to the adapter plugged in & a 4 pin molex power lead from the power supply plugged in to the hard drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 edgtrv

edgtrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

I've plugged it in completely and now it's at least putting out heat, so something is working. I can't access it at all though. It doesn't show up on my list of drives and I still can't boot without a bootable Windows7 disk in. Any ideas on what I need to do to access the drive?

#4 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

I've plugged it in completely and now it's at least putting out heat, so something is working. I can't access it at all though. It doesn't show up on my list of drives and I still can't boot without a bootable Windows7 disk in. Any ideas on what I need to do to access the drive?

A computer might help. Not saying you should get one just telling ya.

#5 edgtrv

edgtrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

A computer might help. Not saying you should get one just telling ya.

Mind bottling! I never thought of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users