Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 youngchef

youngchef

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Hello,

I have a Gateway with Windows Vista. My computer is starting to run slow whether I am on the internet or not. I can click on a file or sometimes a program and it appears that it has locked up but, it will eventually open. The same thing happens when I am on the internet. I can click on a page and it will take a few before it opens. Does anyone have any ideas?

Young Chef

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InsanityOnABun

InsanityOnABun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

You could be low on RAM, you could be low on Hard Drive space, there could be a lot of extraneous programs running, there may be some type of malware hogging all the resources... there's a lot of possibilities.
As the veil of lunacy descends...

#3 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:14 AM

How much free space do you have on the partition that you have your operating system on?

If it low on space log in as Administrator, clear out your Temporary Internet Files, do a disc cleanup, remove all but the last system restore point and defrag.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Have you eliminated the unneeded software that comes with a new computer? You can use pc decrapifier.

http://majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier_d5223.html

I agree that getting rid of some startup programs also helps.

CCleaner also has a startup manager. Click tools, then startup. You can delete any unneeded items from there. Be careful, there is no backup, so you can look up the program on Google if you want to know what an item is for.

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Edited by zbd, 04 August 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#5 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

If your computer used to run fast, and now it is slowing down... I would suspect either malware on your system, or a recently updated program (possibly antivirus) that now uses a lot more resources. I would start by posting some screenshots of processes running on your computer, and a Malwarebytes log.

#6 youngchef

youngchef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

How much free space do you have on the partition that you have your operating system on?

If it low on space log in as Administrator, clear out your Temporary Internet Files, do a disc cleanup, remove all but the last system restore point and defrag.

I tried that and it is still doing the same thing. I also have noticed that the internet is now moving slower and slower.

#7 youngchef

youngchef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

You could be low on RAM, you could be low on Hard Drive space, there could be a lot of extraneous programs running, there may be some type of malware hogging all the resources... there's a lot of possibilities.

The memory is fine. There is plenty of memory left on the hard drive.

#8 youngchef

youngchef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

Has anyone had issues with the internet running slow and/or locking up on a Gateway, Vista?

Merged Post: Please stick to one thread on the same topic youngchef.~Tw

Edited by The weatherman, 11 August 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#9 DanCote

DanCote

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:24 PM

Has anyone had issues with the internet running slow and/or locking up on a Gateway, Vista?

Merged Post: Please stick to one thread on the same topic youngchef.~Tw

I'm having similar problems to what you've described on my Gateway with 32 bit Vista Home Premium. (Internet and some off-line programs slow).That's why I am visiting this site and trying suggestions I've found before I post here I post looking for help.

Regards,

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users