Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETWORK CABLE UNPLUGGED

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john127

john127

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi All,

I have an Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion TL-50 running Windows XP SP2
1.60 Ghz with 2GB of RAM

I get a error message of Network Cable Unplugged when I plug in the ethernet cable to the modem (router port).
The adapter shows as working OK.

Cable is working.
Router is working.

Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Driver Version is 4.52.0.0 17/8/2006

Can any help with? The wireless adapter is working fine and I can connect wirelessly OK.

Thanks Guys.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

<<The adapter shows as working OK.>>

Where? Device Manager? Does it show up in Network Connections? Does it reflect the IP address properly?

Louis

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

if you are positive that the cable is good (test it on another machine) you could uninstall the NIC in device manager and then reboot.
when windows restarts it should find and install the NIC . if it doesn't there could be a problem with the card. you could try to reseat it, maybe it got bumped.

also if you plug and unplug alot check contacts on nic where you plug in for broken or worn pins or dirt.

#4 john127

john127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

<<The adapter shows as working OK.>>

Where? Device Manager? Does it show up in Network Connections? Does it reflect the IP address properly?

Louis

I obtained the information from Network Connections > Right Click Properties > Connect Using "Mouse Click" Configure

Not sure what you mean about IP address (My TCP/IP set up to obtain IP address automatically)

Thanks.

#5 john127

john127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:49 AM

also if you plug and unplug alot check contacts on nic where you plug in for broken or worn pins or dirt.

Turns out the connector where you insert the cable at the back of the pc is dodgy. I have to hold the cable connector up with my finger to maintain a good connection. Only then does it acquire a network address and establish connection to the internet.

Thanks for your help

Looks like I need to replace that faulty connector.

#6 kinweii

kinweii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:06 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users