Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teamsundin

teamsundin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble booting up. And when I try and select last best known configuration for the boot up and select default settings or whatever it gives me this message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using
the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start
repair."

If I try a regular bootup my computer will reboot as soon as I see the windows logo.

I tried using a Linux CD to boot up into Linux (thinking maybe I can copy whatever file I need through that) but it just ends up going to a black screen. I also tried the system recovery at first and I thought it was fine but when I rebooted afterward it never booted up to Windows and now I can't even do a system recovery either.

I don't have recovery discs (they are on one of the drives in my pc) and I don't have a Windows XP disc either, so I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fix this without getting an XP disc? Losing all my data is not a concern as I have backed it up prior to this, I would just like to get this thing up and running again. Also, my computer doesn't have a floppy drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hi!

I don't have recovery discs (they are on one of the drives in my pc)

From this, I'm guessing it's on a parition (say Drive D, named something like "Recovery...")?

If so, then you should be able to boot into that drive. Restart your computer, and at the POST screen, you should see something saying "Press {} to access boot menu", where {} will be a key, generally F12. Press that button as soon as you see it. You should be able to see the recovery parition there. Boot into it, and follow the options to access the repair menu.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users