Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing my Primary or "C" drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 terrbear

terrbear

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

My Dell pc has two slots for hard drives. The primary drive is only 30 gigs. I insatalled a 250 gig in the second slot a while back. Even thought I try and save eveything to the secondary hard drive I'm still running out of free space on the primary drive. I would like to change the 30 gig to a 250 gig. How can I best do this without messing up eveything? Will I need to reinstall XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

You could just reinstall XP on the larger drive, after removing the old drive. You would have to reinstall all apps and critical updates. Data files can easily be moved with no problem.

You could clone your current C: onto the larger drive, which would result in everything currently on C: (good & bad) being moved to a larger drive.

If you elect to clone, whatever is on the current larger drive...should probably be moved (temporarily). To boot properly, the old C: would have to be the first partition on the larger drive...which means that whatever is on now needs to be moved/removed.

That what I can imagine.

Louis

#3 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Forgot to let you know that I have an external hard drive. I turn it on when needed. Not sure about cloning. Is there a chance that I could just swap out the two dives then reformat the larger drive and then reinstall XP and all apps and updates? That way I will have an empty slot to add another 250gb hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users