Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't rebuild XP from setup disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alfie_dub

alfie_dub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi everyone

My computer is infected with the win32:vitro virus, and i cant even log on in safe mode. I've been trying to do a rebuild based on this guide: http://www.informationweek.com/1094/langa.htm

However, when I press any key to load from disk, and get the blue screen saying 'Setup is loading files' and then 'setup is starting windows'. The next screen I get says 'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.....check for viruses on your computer.....run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption'......etc etc

The problem is i cant get into windows because of the virus so can't run chkdsk, or run a virus check.

I have no input before this screen comes up, there's nothing I can do but turn it off after this message displays. Does this mean that I won't even be able to format it, or is there a way around this?
Thanks!

Topic should say XP not CP, sorry.

Edited by alfie_dub, 01 August 2009 - 05:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

Fixed your topic title.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hmmm...maybe it's me but...that link doesn't apply to an infected system. It's also somewhat inaccurate, but I have no need to quibble about how to do a repair install of XP :thumbsup:.

Take my word for it...that article was written with the intent of overcoming boot problems that are not related (possibly) to malware...and it was never intended to have readers think that a repair install can overcome malware. A clean install can, but that's something other than what's discussed in that link.

What would be the point of attempting/executing a repair of a system that you know is broken because of malware? Especially if the result of the malware was to lock the user out of the system?

The concept of "rebuilding" a system that is infected is not what whomever had in mind when that article was conceived.

But...tell us the system manufacturer and the system model...and we'll see what we can do.

You should not take those generic error messages dispensed by Windows literally...it suggested what has been programmed to be logical courses of action (check for malware, run chkdsk, etc.) but such messages do not consider the combination of circumstances that you seem to have.

But, I've been wrong before and maybe someone knows how to beat your malware and run chkdsk on a system that's infected.

Hang on for more suggestions/ideas :flowers:.

Louis

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

This is a double post.

alfie_dub: Let's verify you do have Virut. I am working your topic in the Am I Infected forum. If you do have this infection, BC's recommendation will be to reformat and reload your computer. If you would like help with that, Hamluis is an expert with XP issues.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users