Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS slow to start after adding HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

I just got a new hard drive, and I've noticed that right after I installed it, the BIOS became VERY slow to detect the hard drives. I've swapped the SATA cables (it always finds drive 0 almost instantly, then takes 30+ seconds to find drive 1), and it still doesn't help, reinstalled Windows, but it seems that whenever there's 2 hard drives, the second one is always just REALLY slow to detect. The computer used to start loading the OS around 10 seconds after I hit the power button, now it takes almost a minute just to start loading Windows.

From the second I hit the power button:
It takes 17 seconds for anything to show up on screen.
After the BIOS starts, it goes through everything really fast, then it detects the first hard disk, then stops for about 34.9 seconds (I timed it :thumbsup:), finally detects the second hard disk, the screen flickers, the BIOS shows up for a split second, (the flicker and second glimpse of the BIOS lasts about 3.5 seconds) then Windows finally starts loading.

Does anyone know what might cause the BIOS to take this long to detect a second hard drive?

Additional info:
First hard drive (plugged into SATA 0) is a 250GB WD.
Second hard drive (plugged into SATA 1) is a 1.5TB Seagate.
Computer is a Lenovo
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS.
Computer has plenty of power, 700w PSU.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I just got a new hard drive, and I've noticed that right after I installed it, the BIOS became VERY slow to detect the hard drives. I've swapped the SATA cables (it always finds drive 0 almost instantly, then takes 30+ seconds to find drive 1), and it still doesn't help, reinstalled Windows, but it seems that whenever there's 2 hard drives, the second one is always just REALLY slow to detect. The computer used to start loading the OS around 10 seconds after I hit the power button, now it takes almost a minute just to start loading Windows.

From the second I hit the power button:
It takes 17 seconds for anything to show up on screen.
After the BIOS starts, it goes through everything really fast, then it detects the first hard disk, then stops for about 34.9 seconds (I timed it :thumbsup:), finally detects the second hard disk, the screen flickers, the BIOS shows up for a split second, (the flicker and second glimpse of the BIOS lasts about 3.5 seconds) then Windows finally starts loading.

Does anyone know what might cause the BIOS to take this long to detect a second hard drive?

Additional info:
First hard drive (plugged into SATA 0) is a 250GB WD.
Second hard drive (plugged into SATA 1) is a 1.5TB Seagate.
Computer is a Lenovo
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS.
Computer has plenty of power, 700w PSU.

Try flashing?

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

Have you tried flashing the bios?

You said you swapped the cables, but are you sure the first hard drive is on channel 0 (maybe 1 on some motherboards) , and the new hard drive is on the channel immediately after, most likely 1?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried flashing the bios?

You said you swapped the cables, but are you sure the first hard drive is on channel 0 (maybe 1 on some motherboards) , and the new hard drive is on the channel immediately after, most likely 1?

Wow, way to uh, just ignore my post. Will you stop doing that in every thread I post?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

To Ohai...if you bother looking at the post times...you will see that Sterling just happened to be making his post...about the same time that you made yours.

Lose the conspiracy theory, please...it's not warranted.

Louis

#6 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

To Ohai...if you bother looking at the post times...you will see that Sterling just happened to be making his post...about the same time that you made yours.

Lose the conspiracy theory, please...it's not warranted.

Louis

Yeeeeeeeeeno. it doesn't take 3 minutes to type "try flashing?"

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

Have it your way.

Does anyone have anything else pertinent to the thread originally raised?

Louis

#8 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

A BIOS flash seemed to fix the problem, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users