Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mavieen

mavieen

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hi. My sister, who is even less computer savvy than I am, would like to purchase a new desktop or laptop. I tried to get her to switch to a Mac since I find them much easier to use, but she seems hesitant as they can be quite costly and she isn't familiar with them. All she really needs a computer for is internet, burning CDs, downloading music, word processing, and maybe some basic photo editing. She is looking to spend at the most $1,500 US. I am trying to find information on processors and locate a good computer that will last several years. Any suggestions? I have heard bad things about Dell computers, but not much else in regard to any other brand. I know nothing about processors anymore either.
If anyone has any suggestions that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

You may get as many different answers as there are readers of your post. Dell lovers/haters, Compaq lovers/haters. In my humble opionion, be sure it has a Pentium processor, preferably Pentium IV.

I also suggest either having one built or ordering one with what you need as "off the rack" computers may have too many things you don't/won't need. For example, I was five states away at a new account and the shipped computer crashed and I had to buy one that had so many options not needed and that conflicted with the proprietary software we use, it took two days to get operational. For instance, five different types of removable storage slots. Sheesh!

I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

Randall

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

If your looking to customize it, use it for gaming, mod it. Do things to it. Id get a custom pc.

If its for office use, excel outlook, word things like that. Your not gonna atempt to upgrade or replace parts yourself. Get a standard dell from dell.com they have some pretty good prices.

If its going to be an all around computer for a home, gaming for the kids, office for the parents. Get an all around dell.
dell.com

My expirience with hp's and compaq's and vaios hasnt been the best. Theyre pretty much an exact copy of dell, but with a nicer looking case.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

hi you dont say where you are but i built the one that comes up on the side, it is fast . and will do everything i want it runs 8 websites, 12 e-mails accounts, and i am always online also has 2 hard drives and still only uses 2% cpu

Edited by thedon57, 13 July 2005 - 05:48 PM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

Hi. My sister, who is even less computer savvy than I am, would like to purchase a new desktop or laptop. I tried to get her to switch to a Mac since I find them much easier to use, but she seems hesitant as they can be quite costly and she isn't familiar with them. All she really needs a computer for is internet, burning CDs, downloading music, word processing, and maybe some basic photo editing. She is looking to spend at the most $1,500 US. I am trying to find information on processors and locate a good computer that will last several years. Any suggestions? I have heard bad things about Dell computers, but not much else in regard to any other brand. I know nothing about processors anymore either.
If anyone has any suggestions that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

If all she is looking for is a computer for internet use and what not there is a computer I found at the local Wal-Mart that is just $350.00 or less that is called Balance Digital Technology here is the website for the company and the computer I bought --

http://www.balance-digital.com/desktop/CP4401.htm

BTW I have not had any problems out of this computer and it is upgradeable also.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Look up the name brand and model number on this site once you make a choice to see what others have had to say about it.
http://www.epinions.com

I would go for a AMD CPU. But pentiums are fine to for basic stuff...If all she wants to do is what you said above look in your paper for a used one. Thats what I would do. 1500.00 is way more than you need to spend to browse the internet.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

You will get more bang for the buck with a desktop, and not have the worries associated with something portable and breakable and stealable. Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq, Emachines all make good towers with bundled packages for well under 1000US that will do the basic computing fuctions you have mentioned. Do some on-line shopping and comparison, and check local ads if you live in a metropolitan area.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

Look up the name brand and model number on this site once you make a choice to see what others have had to say about it.
http://www.epinions.com

I would go for a AMD CPU. But pentiums are fine to for basic stuff...If all she wants to do is what you said above look in your paper for a used one. Thats what I would do. 1500.00 is way more than you need to spend to browse the internet.

Used computers are usually a really bad deal. The original owners always think they are worth much more than they are.

The technology level of the average two or three year old computer is obsolete. Current new computers cost significantly less than the used ones sold for new, so the original owners are not realistic about the price. Obsolete technology is not worth much money.

$1500. will buy a lot of extremely fast, latest technology computer no matter which brand you choose. A PC is superior to a Mac simply in the respect that 95% of all home computers are PCs. There are thousands more programs available for PCs and much more assistance available for PC owners. (like user groups and bulletin boards like this one). Unless you are intending to run high graphic professional programs forget the MAC.

Part of the decision of what you buy depends on where you live. If you live in an area with lots of reputable computer stores like Best Buy, COMPUSA, etc, you might go in and look at what they offer before just buying a Dell on line. If you live in an area that has lots of reputable computer repair shops give them a chance to offer you a custom built, which would probably be the best computer in the long run for you.
AMD vs Pentium - both are good. Get a Pentium though and not a Celeron and buy enough RAM.
I hope you enjoy what you buy.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:05 AM

To me the most important thing you want to consider if you are going to be running XP is to be sure to get at least 512 MB RAM.

You would probably be better off buying a custom built from a local, reputable shop.

If you go for a name brand, do as Enthusiast says, buy from a store like Best Buy and I would recommend buying the extended warranty. That has paid off for me this month. :thumbsup: And the other advantage is that you can walk into the store and talk to a technician and look them in the eye if need be. Right now, I think I would avoid HP--they seem to put a lot of unneccessary junk onboard and are having some issues with incompatable drivers.

Good luck and happy hunting.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users