Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with RAID and getting Delayed Write Failed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Wayne

Travis Wayne

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

Ok...I have Windows XP Professional, and am using a P4C800 Deluxe Asus Motherboard.
A couple weeks ago I got a really bad trojan, but I was able to remove it. I actually removed my C drive, and stuck it in another computer so I could run scans on it and whatnot because it wasn't letting me do anything with that trojan on it. I was able to remove the virus, I put the drive back in my computer. My computer has 3 hard drives, There's a C drive(150gb Raptor SATA), an F drive(160gb WD IDE) and a G/H drive(partitioned 400gb WD SATA) Since I put the C drive back in, My G/H drive disappeared, and when I booted up it gave me the Delayed Write Failed with a message referring to the G drive. It also took forever to boot up like in between the Windows logo screen and the welcome screen it just sits on that black screen for a couple of minutes.

So I went to the device manager and noticed I have a RAID controller not installed?? I have never even done anything with RAID controllers on this machine. The hard drive is plugged into the same SATA port it was, nothing changed there. This board has 2 sets of SATA ports, and I believe one is for RAID. But it keeps detecting the G/H drive as needing to be in a RAID now. I tried going to Asus's website and downloading the RAID driver for it anyways, but after it's installed it says there is an error, and I still don't have my G/H drive.

Also, if you uninstall that RAID driver, and reboot, the computer boots perfectly, but then comes up with detecting new hardware(The RAID controller) And I still don't see my G/H drive. This pretty much goes beyond my knowledge, so any help would be awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
Travis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

I suggest going into your BIOS...and seeing if the RAID is enabled.

It must be, if the RAID controller is reflected in Device Manager, IMO.

Users generally have two options for disabling onboard devices...either in the BIOS (better method, device is not reflected in Device Manager, no drivers need to be installed) or in Device Manager (DM will reflect device and flag it as requiring drivers, if such have not been installed).

If your BIOS/CMOS settings without any manual intervention...that might be a sign of a failing CMOS battery. In such case, I would replace it.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 Travis Wayne

Travis Wayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hmm, thanks for the response. I booted into my BIOS but I am not seeing anywhere where I can disable the RAID, is there something I should be looking for that isn't so obvious?? Oh....and I don't know if it means anything, but one of the other hard drives on my computer has a copy of XP PRo on it, and when I booted to it, I was able to see the G/H drive and access it. Plus it boots right up, my C drive still hangs in between the logo screen and welcome screen. I would think if it was something to do with the BIOS it would affect both drives?

Travis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Listen...if you have a RAID driver...then there's a way to activate a RAID. Does that make sense?

(If you were using a controller card to provide RAID capability, it would have its own BIOS screen which you would have to use in order to connect any drives to it. Since you don't have a RAID card, but you have RAID capability...it must be activated from the only BIOS that you have. http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/soc...-d/overview.htm

Something in your motherboard owner's manual...instructs you on how to engage the RAID. A separate section of your manual should go over the various BIOS screens/settings.

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

You need to visit that link and download your respective documentation, if you don't have such. Note that there are differing language versions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users