Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISP POLL

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How Would you Rate your ISP? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

How Would you Rate your ISP?

1. Excellent (12 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Very Good (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

3. Good (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

4. Fair/so-so (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

5. Needs Improvement (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

6. Poor (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

7. Downright Rotten (1 votes [2.22%])

8. What's an ISP? (1 votes [2.22%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ZeYusAngelBee

ZeYusAngelBee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

Let's rate our ISP's and feel free to reply as to why you feel the way you do.

I am curious as to what you think of the service, speed and cost of your ISP.

Have fun and let's learn about what the Internet can offer us.
~~ZeYusAngelBee~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ZeYusAngelBee

ZeYusAngelBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

My ISP is YAHOO DSL

Considering my old ISP was AOL dial up, this was heaven compared to not being able to get online for the better part of the day.

I love the one stop billing of YAHOO DSL since I have paired it with SBC which also happens to be my local and long distance telephone service provider.
~~ZeYusAngelBee~~

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

The ISP for BleepingComputer is Thorn Communications. They are located in New York City and I could not be happier with the service and support we are getting from them. Granted we are paying for it, but I have been with many other ISP's that for the same price could only be described as horrible.

#4 magicmunchkin

magicmunchkin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hi,
I use a local isp,Frontiernet and i can't seem to get a decvent speed out of them. So i'm looking forward to seeing the post and maybe go for a new provider. i live to far out in the boonies to get DSL or anything.. So i guess i rate them as a so-so but at least i have internet.LOL :thumbsup:
Have a Great Day!!!

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:14 PM

My ISP is Time Warner cable. I am pleased with the service and speed, but the software and tech support, is something that should be better. They have the ability to chat with someone, in the case you can get online, but having problems, which is a plus. The Pop-up blocker is something that is not very good. I ended up having to reinstall IE6 (their suggestion), just to get it back on. It only lasted a day or so.

I forgot to mention, that it is Earthlink. Some say it is AOL-based, but I do not see it.

Edited by JEservices, 03 May 2004 - 05:14 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 ZeYusAngelBee

ZeYusAngelBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:16 PM

As price goes, i got sticker shock with AOL which is why I switched to SBC YAHOO DSL. I didn't have to pay for the Ethernet card, the DSL Cable converter, any of the cables or any of the other hardware to install.

For one year, I got the discounted price of $30 (roughly).

This Feb., my contract was up (for the year) and my bill soared to $50 (roughly) but, even so, I was so happy with not having to worry about the time spent on the Internet or any of the hardware involved as everything is insured to work or it is replaced free of charge.

I was elated though that I was given the opportunity (and I took it) to receive uninterrupted DSL service at the $30 rate. WHOOOHOO!!!

With my service, I get free dial up service should DSL be unavailable which almost never happens on the network level (only with the cable converter or software glitches).

The Techs have been godsends and I could not have asked for a better ISP for the money.

I guess after being disappointed with AOL, SBC YAHOO DSL looks like a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by ZeYusBee, 03 May 2004 - 05:18 PM.

~~ZeYusAngelBee~~

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:44 PM

Re: ISP's

Currently, the area I live in only has dial-up ISP access (Maryland, USA). Soon we will have both DSL and Cable access too. I'll probably get a package cable TV/ISP deal then.

Six years ago I used AOL dial-up for almost two years. I left AOL because of too many line drops and too many adverts hogging up the download time.

I switched to Yahoo (BIG MISTAKE) dial-up. Ad-ware, Mal-Ware, Virus', bugs, worms, and all manner of problems with "HooYa". Not to mention e-mailing problems sending and receiving.
(Their problems - not mine.)

After eight months I switched to EarthLink, which initially was OK, alibi slow in my area. EarthLink did some upgrading over the sixteen months I stayed with them. Most was beneficial for the users. But they did not upgrade servers or local access numbers quickly enough to handle the volume of customers. I dropped EarthLink because I couldn't get on-line, or maintain an on-line contact for more than a few minutes most days. (Their problems again, not my system or local phone lines.) I even had to return a $200.00 rebate because I hadn't stayed a contracted two full years.

I've been with Peoplepc.com for a while now (still dial-up and inexpensive @ $11 a month). They've provided fair to good service in my area. Recently they "upgraded" their system which has slowed down access to e-mail. They now run an anti-virus system on incoming e-mail which may be part of the reason for the slowing. Since they instituted the AV scanning, my McAfee AV has not found anything additional hostile. (I used to have Norton AV, but left them because they don't update fast enough!)

Baud rates are more affected/controlled by ones own phone lines, thus, mine are only fair at about 20-24Kbps average, though in dry weather I've seen max at 28Kbps.
(I believe Peoplepc is now a part of/owned by EarthLink.)

Kudosí to the "Bleeping Computer" Crew - best new & Newbie site I've seen!

Quoting Will Rogers: "Some do, some don't; some will, some won't!"
"Bleeping Computer" is definitely doing it!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

Hey Y'all,
Magicmunchkin~ LOL! I have the same ISP as you. I think my speeds could be better. On the flipside, it is never down, though. I rate frontiernet very good.
:thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 robshanahan

robshanahan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:27 PM

I use SBC Yahoo DSL. I had some issues setting up my network with their broadjump client, so I ended up uninstalling all their software. The service itself is very good. I have had it running for just over a year and there haven't been any service interruptions! I don't quite get the 1.5Mbps I pay for since I'm a little too far from the CO.

My previous ISP was Earthlink and I would say the tech support was slightly better with them (probably because I didn't have a home network then, made it easier to solve problems).

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:02 PM

For high speed I only have the option of cable internet (unless I want to pay for the loop for T1 which is 350 per month + bandwith (1.5 is about another 300)). I never see speed near what they advertise. The tech support is absolutely horrible, when my DNS did not resolve for a whole day they told me it was a "winsock" problem. :thumbsup: Yahoo DSL is supposed to be coming in soon and I will probably switch.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 riverbum

riverbum

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

My ISP is ACE Communications which is also our local phone service. I have the DSL at $49 a month. I first had their dial-up and that was terrible and the DSL isn't a whole lot better. I believe its 256K down and 128K up if its even that fast. I'm running a Compaq desktop and a wireless E_Machine M6805 on a D-Link DI-514 router which the ISP furnished. If I'm more than ten feet away from the router the e-machine still gets an excellent signal but periodacally the signal will disconnect and after a few minutes it will reconnect. The problem is so widespread that the ISP will no longer install wireless routers and the only ones they will allow is the D-Link already installed. It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. If you call them and ask for help with the router and their answer is''we don't know anything about them'' call D-Link. I did and I couldn't understand a word they were saying and gave up on that. One of these days I hope to get someone here to check and make sure the router is set up right as the ISP did the initial set up. Maybe thats the problem. They will not allow us to install any other brand of router and they said if we did they could tell and would disconnect our service. I know this problem can be resolved given the right kind of help and I'm not going to give up. I just know this can be fixed. Thanks Deb, I feel better now.

#12 parrotplay

parrotplay

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:14 AM

My ISP is called "hotjjo". I could not be happier!! No disconnects (I switched from AOL) and is the easiest...and cheapest dial-up service I have found, looking for months. They have a Turbo Accelerator to speed your dial-up connection a bit, their tech support is just...awesome. Send an email with a question, a tech calls me back...and walks me through everything...resolving any issues, questions I have had, which were just when setting it up at first..have had Zero problems, zero hassles...and they are just $9.95 a month...NO CONTRACTS!! They take the fee out of your checking account, is the only rule on that. Forget how many addys you can have, believe webspace as well. Just wanted to share..they are that good. Have a good one...parrotplay :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users