Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash drive not responding in Win 98

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

I have an old 98 system and the usb mouse works. I plug in my usb thumb drive and it won't respond. This system doesn't have an ethernet connection, so do I need to get drivers on a cd from another computer to load into this system for it to work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

I have an old 98 system and the usb mouse works. I plug in my usb thumb drive and it won't respond. This system doesn't have an ethernet connection, so do I need to get drivers on a cd from another computer to load into this system for it to work?

So your USB mouse works ok? When you plugin your USB Flash drive is doesn't show anything? You don't even get a Found New Hardware Message?

On Win98 you need to install drivers for Flash drives. As a general rule Flash drives 2GB or less work on Win98. You might find the odd exception.

Well firstly you have stated the make and model of your Flash drive. I only use Kingston and PQI Flash drives and you can download the Win98 drivers of there web site. There are also Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers but I can't get these to work. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

you can download the Win98 drivers of there web site. There are also Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers but I can't get these to work. :flowers:

they worked fine for me :thumbsup:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

If the Windows edition is plain 98 not 98SE, you could have difficulty finding a driver from the flash drive manufacturer. Most tend to only provide for 98SE. In this situation, the Win98 generic mass storage driver from the website Keithuk links to might be the only hope.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

they worked fine for me :thumbsup:

Well all as I can say is they don't for me. I uninstall my Kingston and PQI drivers. Install these uninversal ones and nothing shows. :flowers:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Try "Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3" that I just uploaded for you here and tell me if it's ok now!

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

Try "Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.3" that I just uploaded for you here and tell me if it's ok now!

i would try the Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers first

Edited by starcraftmaster, 03 August 2009 - 01:45 AM.

#8 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I just uploaded them because Keithuk told us that they didn't work for him. Of course geno368 must try to install official Windows 98SE USB drivers first!

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

I just uploaded them because Keithuk told us that they didn't work for him. Of course geno368 must try to install official Windows 98SE USB drivers first!

there not offical
but they work very good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users