Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home won't start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madbob

madbob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

I have a P4 emachine running XP home. Last Friday it decided to get stuck on the windows screen with the running blue bar. I can get into safe mode, I've tried turning off the CA eTrust anti virus and MS antispyware in MSconfig. This allowed it to boot up on the selected restart on closing MSconfig. However, without changing anything just powered off and on again it gets stuck on the blue bar screen. There is very little disk activity to start with then nothing.

I've tried turning a bunch of other things off in the start up but no change.

I've also tried a restore point but that made no difference either.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem? Safe mode starts every time though sometimes it offers XP home as the operating system to select, whereas other times it just gets on and starts up when safe mode is selected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

Hi have you a windoes xp disk if you have it might be quicker to do a repair from there or a complete reinstall.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

You should be able to get into safe mode, because the operating system runs after hardware/dos. not before.

Please repeatedly press f8 as you reboot.

This should bring you to the boot menu where you can boot in safe mode.

Edited by Techsomething, 13 July 2005 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users