Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Phenom 8400 Triple Core dying - symptoms

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nate42nd

nate42nd

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:08 AM

My Video card went out on me last week. I just got it back and installed it. My computer was running very slowly. I got looking around and the CPU is showing only one core now in Task Manager. It is also showing only one core and the incorrect L2 and L3 cache in SIW, CPUZ, (computer hardware monitors, all of them) but the correct L2 and L3 cache in the BIOS (Yes I have loaded optimized defaults in the BIOS)

I have a fairly high knowledge level so I have tried most things that are obvious. I am also dual booting Windows 7 and Vista. It's the same story in BOTH OSs. This leads me to believe it's a CPU or Motherboard dying. Has anyone seen this before?

What do you think? Are you an expert? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

If the CPU data in SIW reflects 1 processor, 1 core...then I think you have a hardware problem.

I just checked this system: 1 processor, 2 cores reflected, as it should be.

Louis

#3 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have 3 systems here. They all work fine except the Phenom 8400 system.

My video card died at the same time so I guess I must have had a power problem (for the 1st time ever in 15 years) or maybe a PSU or mobo problem.

It's bad because it still works (slowly) and it's not a bad system (2 500GB HDs and 4GB RAM) so I can't junk it. So do I.....

Buy a new CPU and see if that works.....
Buy a new motherboard and CPU (just to make sure) I already have a new PSU to hook up.

Also it's an OEM HP so I wonder if there would be any problems swapping parts like that.
Windows Vista Ultimate isn't cheap so I want to keep that....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Well...let's wait for some other opinions before plowing ahead :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Being an OEM HP my only question is is it still under warranty? If so problem solved. Let their IT(?) people handle it. Should all be free.

If not and SIW as well as Task manager shows only one, being sure that "One graph per CPU" is selected in Task manager under View\CPU History. It comes down to the time you want to spend hardware trouble shooting.

Could be the PS, could be mobo, could be the CPU. Or all of the above. The fact that the graphics card went around the same time seems to point to a power\surge issue. Just what all got damaged.... :thumbsup:

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

Since you intend to fix the unit & already have a PSU for it I suggest you start by putting the new power supply in it.

As for "is it the motherboard,CPU,or both" the ONLY way you are going to find out is by testing what you have or just start replacing parts.
If you don't have the means of testing take the CPU to a shop & see if you can get it tested.

I strongly recommend changing the power supply before you try anything though.
A lot of "HP" PSU's are rebranded Bestec's .
NOT GOOD.

If you look at the label on the HP power supply you shoild see a UR
Directly under the UR will be a code [Example: S12345}

Go here & enter the code,

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/templat...E/gfilenbr.html

You will find out who really made your "HP" power supply.

If it is a Bestec remove it from the computer & put it in the trash where it belongs !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Being an OEM HP my only question is is it still under warranty? If so problem solved. Let their IT(?) people handle it. Should all be free.

If not and SIW as well as Task manager shows only one, being sure that "One graph per CPU" is selected in Task manager under View\CPU History. It comes down to the time you want to spend hardware trouble shooting.

Could be the PS, could be mobo, could be the CPU. Or all of the above. The fact that the graphics card went around the same time seems to point to a power\surge issue. Just what all got damaged.... :thumbsup:

It's not under warranty. It was "refurbished" and had a 90 day warranty.

I am dual booting and the graphs in the task manager are correct in Windows 7 and Vista. (thanks for the idea)

Maybe I will try the PSU first since I have it on hand. I'll see what happens when I do that.

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas to everyone!

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Let us know how things turn out.

#9 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I will change the PSU tonight and post back what happens.

My guess is it will still be the same but we'll see. I'll post back in about 12 hours.

Edit, I am half done. I will have it done in 15 minutes.....

Edited by nate42nd, 01 August 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

I`ll be around about another 45 minutes.

Do`t know how long fairjoeblue will be. I`m sure further help will be at hand if need`d.

#11 nate42nd

nate42nd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I installed a new Thermaltake 430W PSU (plenty of power for this system) There is no change.

I'm not sure it would be working if it was a mobo problem....maybe. It looks like my Phenom X3 is now a Celeron. haha

I wonder if the last core will go out soon...

I am going to see if I can find someone with an AM2+ board to test the CPU.

I have 2 old boards here but not the right socket. I have seen this problem on dual cores before but they were Windows related. With both OSs showing the same results. I just think it's a bigger problem than I had hoped.

Also CPU-Z is showing one processor with ONE core in Windows 7 and Vista.

Edited by nate42nd, 01 August 2009 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users