Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem formatting disk drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lazybones09

lazybones09

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

i tried formatting both my drives c and d but the message "windows cannot format this drive. quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive and make sure that no windows is displaying the contents of the drive". I tried formatting under the administrative tools>computer management>disk management but option "format" is greyed out or i can't click it. also i tried disabling the system restore but the messages "sytem restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. please restart your machine and try again"-- which i did multiple times-- and "system restore is not able to protect your computer. please restart".

much help is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Did you get the error when you attempted to format either\both drives?

Assuming C:\ is your root drive (where Windows is installed) then you will not be able to format it from with-in Windows. A third party software is required. Or booting from the Windows CD should give you the option as well.

Are these two separate drives or are they a single drive partitioned into two drives?

#3 lazybones09

lazybones09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

yup i got an error trying to format both drives.. they are two separate drives and yes drive c: is my root drive.

yup i got an error trying to format both drives.. they are two separate drives and yes drive c: is my root drive.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

Are you attempting to format from the right click menu going through My computer\x:\Properties\Tools ?

If so, then try formatting the D: drive through Computer Management. Start\run\ type in compmgmt.msc

Remembering that you will not be able to format your root drive in this manner.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 lazybones09

lazybones09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

windows xp home edition version 2002
acer incorporated
pentium® D CPU 2.80GHZ

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

The system model...should be listed somewhere on the exterior of the case...in the owner's manual...on your receipt.

I guess I have to ask...why are you trying to format two partitions/drives?

Are you in XP when you attempt these efforts?

Louis

#8 lazybones09

lazybones09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

my computer recently got infected with the autorun.inf and the recycler virus. i noticed in my drive d: (and usb device)after the autorun.inf was removed a folder named "recycler"(see image below) had appeared and has kept reappearing even after deleting it. when i formatted my usb device the recycler folder disappeared so i figured that if i format drive d then my problem will be solved.

Attached File  wierd4.jpg   47.11KB   12 downloads
i want to format my drive c: because these of these weird folders that i did not create named A0002992 and A008322(in computer icons) when i click on them they will show the contents of "my computer" as shown below:

Attached File  wierd.jpg   36.6KB   14 downloads
Attached File  wierd2.jpg   41.68KB   6 downloads

to thunder-z: yeah i already tried formatting through computer management and failed as stated on my first post.

Edited by lazybones09, 03 August 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

:thumbsup: Forgot you had already stated you had tried Comp. Manag.

If you have all your important info backed-up then just boot from your XP cd. It will give you the options to delete partitions, create partitions, format (quick or full) in NTFS.

If you want to wipe the drive to zeros prior to formatting, recreating partitions, reinstalling your OS then you will need a 3rd party application.
I like Darik`s Boot and Nuke.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 August 2009 - 11:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users