Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 kellan6

kellan6

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Throughout the past month my wireless signal has been turning off, and turning back on at random occasions if I put my computer to sleep. The wireless "light" on the side of my laptop will turn from blue to amber when the wireless signal is not working. I have tried installing new drivers, searching for any viruses, and taking out and reinserting my wireless card.

I have:
Compaq Presario F730US Notebook PC
Windows XP Pro SP3

When the problem first started, it originally disabled my system restore and my usb drives too. But it eventually started to work again, and I reinstalled drivers for the usb problem.

Originally I thought this was a virus, theyre might be more information to help you at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/239904/no-internet-no-system-restore/
If you have any questions about the issue, please ask!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Hi. Your wireless card might be shutting itself off to save power. Check the properties of your card in device manager and look under the power management tab. There should be a check box that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Make sure this isnt checked.

Hope this helps,
Gareth

#3 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Ok, I just did that, but the problem still remains.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

What type of wireless device are you connected to?

#5 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

What do you mean? Do you mean what am I trying to connect to wirelessly or what kind of wireless hardware am I using on my laptop?

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

What do you mean? Do you mean what am I trying to connect to wirelessly or what kind of wireless hardware am I using on my laptop?

What are you trying to connect to via wireless?

Is the lap top wireless built-in?

#7 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

A Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz Broadband Router, I dont think that has to do with the problem though. My wireless on my computer in general is just not working.

Yes

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

It is hard to say which part, router or wireless NIC on your lap top.

What program on your lap top do you use to connect to the router. The one provided by Linksys or the built in XP one.

#9 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

Where would I find that information?

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Did you use the install disk that came with the router?

#11 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

No

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Then you are using the Windows Wireless Configuration utility.

Should be an icon on the lower left hand side of your task bar. When you right click it and click on view available wireless connections it should open a window that displays the SSID, broadcast name of the router. Unless you have changed it, it should be something like Linksys which may be followed by a series of number and or letters. It should also show your signal strength.

One other thought. Have any new electrical devices been introduced into the home? Cordless phones, micro-wave, anything?

#13 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'll check that as soon as my computer can boot up. Right now it's having trouble just doing that, it seems to start up, but the screen stays black and after about 15 seconds it turns off.

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

I think you are infected with something. I would go to this forum and post. If they say you are all clear then start a new post here. If it were just your USB and wireless, then it might be something we could help with. But disabling your system restore and now your trouble booting that stinks of something more than drivers. Sorry to say

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#15 kellan6

kellan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I think you are infected with something. I would go to this forum and post. If they say you are all clear then start a new post here. If it were just your USB and wireless, then it might be something we could help with. But disabling your system restore and now your trouble booting that stinks of something more than drivers. Sorry to say

Nah man, check out the end of the thread, they say I should of gone here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users