The list of symptoms:
1. After log on, no wallpaper, desktop icons, start menu. Instead, just a copy of windows explorer open to My Documents.
2. For the first few minutes, any attempt to run an application is met with a pair of command prompt looking outputs indicating that "there is not enough memory to run this program". They flash very briefly, but I managed to screen shot one of the files as being named "desot.exe" (I think NTVDM.exe is the other one) Interestingly enough, that file can't be found with a dir in a command prompt.
3. Extraordinary amount of instability when in non-safe mode.
4. A copy of of Win Antivirus Pro on my computer
5. Win Defender identifies this as "Rustock.j".
6. I try to run Malwarbytes, Spybot, Adaware---it would appear that the program briefly shows up in the task manager before being killed by something
1. I can still run some programs if I use the explorer screen to navigate the files and do "run as administrator"
2. I've got another Ubuntu partition here, so I can mount the windows file system. I *think* I could probably get away with deleting or editing some files. I don't think that it's a great idea, but if it works.....
1. I tried to run the DDS thing as described in the preparation screen. Windows throws an error message:
The blue box on top says "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"
Rest of the message:
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS:0000 IP:0117 OP:f0 25 24 00 f0 Choose 'close to terminate the application.
Really bad news:
1. I can't run HJT. I try to run it as Admin, and I get a message indicating that I don't have permissions to run it.
I figure there must be a way to run HJT, but I'm pretty much out of ideas. I'm only bothering you folks with this because I can't seem to find anybody else who's had this problem and I'm totally not getting any traction.
*edit for clarity.
Edited by dan_l, 01 August 2009 - 12:32 AM.