Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC "Loading" At XP Logo

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

I reformatted my pc this morning, and came across an issue I've never had before. I have a disc for Windows XP Pro SP1, and have spent all day installing updates. After my pc had installed the SP2 update, my computer will continue to "load" XP and be stuck at that screen with the loading bar constantly running. It shuts the power off to my keyboard and there is no light on the HDD running to show it's actually trying to load. I've tried to use System Restore via Safe Mode, but since there were 58 updates in all, it only saved the last 15 or so. I tried to restore to each of them and had no luck getting past this issue. Is there something I can do? Do I have to reformat once again?

To make things worse, I'm unable to reinstall Windows altogether from the disc. I'm at a complete loss.

Edited by Tieron, 01 August 2009 - 01:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:43 AM

After 6 tries of getting the XP CD to work, I finally was able to get XP re-installed. I'm hoping this time around it's better. If I come across the issue again, I will post again.

#3 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

Alright, I'm back to the same issue. I get SP2 installed, and go to reboot after the install and the system hangs on the XP logo loading screen. It sat there all night (7 hours) and I'm back to where I started, even after getting XP reloaded once again. Are there any suggestions out there?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

Probably not the answer you want to hear.

But putting aside any hardware issues for now, hear is the part you do not want to hear, reformat, re-install XP. Then instead of installing SP2 as a whole, choose custom updates and select just the critical security updates for now. You will probably need to go back several times to get them all. This may help narrow down the culprit.

#5 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

I've installed all of the pre-SP2 updates that Windows Update has given me prior to SP2. I was unable to install anything else until I've installed SP2. It would appear that the SP2 update is the issue. Unless there is a different installation I could try for this.

Also, I still get a BSOD error message on the first three tries (sometimes more) of trying to get Windows Setup to run from the disk. Here's the message it gives me:

SESSION3_INITILIZATION_FAILED

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by Tieron, 01 August 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

Did a quick search on the STOP: 0x0000006F error.

Most links lead back to corrupted data from initial install. That usually comes from one of 3 things. Old\damaged install disk. A possible bad or going bad optical drive. Possibly, but far less likely the hard drive starting to go bad.

#7 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

What would you suggest I do then? Could this also be related to the SP2 issues too? My two hard drives are both new and I've checked connections on them and they are both good. I also have a 8 month old external hard drive that's working well as well.

Edited by Tieron, 01 August 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Do you have a spare optical drive?

Yes it could also be an SP2 issue.

I`m at a bit of a lose for your next step. You could start reading HERE to see if anything exactly fits your particular situation and has a workable fix.

#9 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

I have a brand new CD-R burner on that computer as well that should work. I'm also looking into burning the .iso image for SP3, but I've had connection issues with SP3 and believe it's the router on that.

The disc will run from time to time using the current drive, and from the sounds of it, that does look like what it is. The DVD Drive is fairly ancient, I guess it's time to look that up.

As for the SP2 issue, I'm re-installing SP1 again, and seeing if I can't install certain updates again without actually doing SP2. Microsoft support has not helped at all during the process as well.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like a plan.

The age of the DVD drive could very well be the issue. As with all things, age does take it`s toll.

You can pick and choose custom update options. Although you may need to initially install MS installer 3.1(?) prior to installing any other updates. You will be prompted to do so.

Sorry I was`t of much help. Was hoping someone else might jump in with a fix. Has been a long time since dealing with an XP SP1 install.

#11 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

I appreciate the help you've given. Like I said before, I've never come across an issue of installing SP2 before and since it's such and ancient technology now, it's tough to find fixes for it. I'll keep trying things and see what I can come up with. With luck I can get things running again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

Most persons who have problems installing an SP...have error messages indicating what the problem might be.

The fact that you don't post any...would lead me to believe that you need to look to your system for answers as to why the customary reboot to install files...does not happen correctly.

To me, that means RAM and hard drive. Once the files are read (if you are installing them from CD), those hardware items take over.

If there was a problem reading files...generally, users get notifications of such...when the actual read errors occur.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...ll+&aqi=g10

Louis

#13 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

I know I may be sounding difficult at that is not how I'm meaning to sound. I looked through all of those searches and none of them are what I'm experiencing. I can get through the SP install, and the system reboots itself, but it hangs with no error messages at all, at the XP loading screen (the one with the xp logo and blue "loading" lights). Could something like that still be the Hard Drive or RAM? I'm installing SP2 from Windows Update if that helps.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

Well...don't worry about how you think something sounds, we're trying to come up ways to overcome your situation.

I understand about the hanging...that's why I directed you to those links which Google thinks fall under the search phrase used.

The reboot procedure after updating Windows...is routine. Millions have gone through it, if not billions.

What transpires during that reboot? Well...XP recognizes and installs any new files which need to be processed. That involves interaction between RAM and the hard drive...because XP is on the hard drive and RAM is the work area for the system.

Can anything interrupt the smooth flow of this process? Sure, but usually any interruption is going to provoke an error message of some type from Windows...unless there is a hardware glitch of some type that prevents Windows from sending an error message or taking note that something has gone wrong.

<<Could something like that still be the Hard Drive or RAM?>>

To be honest, it could be various things. A computer is not a simple tool, it's not easy to say "this is broken" or "that is broken" due to the nature of its complexity and the fact that it's an electronic device.

You've not supplied a complete story here...you've never told us exactly why you elected to reformat your system...and that seems to be the start of your problems. We all know that problems don't start with a reformat...the reformat effort is usually an attempt to overcome whatever is perceived as the real problem.

Can we start at the beginning? Maybe then someone can get a better idea than I currently have...of what is going on with your system.

Louis

#15 Tieron

Tieron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I reformatted my computer because I felt that I had a virus that no AV had found. About every 3 logoffs, I had a Windows Save popup asking if I wanted to save changes to the Global Layout template entitled "Normal". I had no idea what that was, couldn't find anything in my processes list, and so I felt it was a virus or something I could not figure out. Also, I was having font issues, meaning the fonts inside of simple windows was way too big to fit in the window and often times cut out text. Another issue I could not find a fix for.

I felt that a combination of the two plus my C:\ drive was actually my F:\ drive because I forgot to unplug my External Hard Drive, which also caused a few issues with drivers (Lexmark in particular). So that's where I decided to reformat. I've had a copy of XP Pro SP1 for awhile from someone that worked at Microsoft at the time. It makes life challenging should I ever need to reformat/reinstall due to all of the updates.

Also, I'm currently running a RAM test to see if there are in fact issues with my RAM. So far it's been running for 20 minutes and it's found one error in Pair 5300981 which HCI Design's MemTest says "your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM". Upon another run of the program it found Pair 40339131 had the same issue. I have yet to see if it's a particular RAM stick yet, but it may explain why a big update such as SP2 wouldn't be functioning correctly.

I hope that helps you at least a little bit.

Edited by Tieron, 01 August 2009 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users