Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DIY help determining if Dell laptop still usable after crash.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jukey_23

jukey_23

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello folks,

I've had the misfortune of my Dell Inspiron 1100's hard drive crashing, and would like to know if the laptop is still usable.

Geek Squad will charge me $80 to do a diagnostic. However, I am sure this can be done on my own.

And so I turn to my newly discovered community of experts.

I do have the XP installation disk, as well as some software stuff...I bought the laptop used off of Ebay and it lasted me about a year. I only paid $250 for it. Yes, I know you might question why I don't just buy another laptop, but the money is just not available. So I'd like to get the one I have back up and running, and am willing to buy a new hard drive if that is all that's needed.

Any advice, instructions, whatever is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Doe the laptop come on ?
If so what happens when it tries to start ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

The hard drive is no longer in the laptop, as it is of no use now.

However, the laptop still powers on.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

How do you know that the hard drive is not useable? When you say that it crashed...can you provide specifics of what happened?

Did you run any diagnostics (either Dell or hard drive manufacturer) on it?

What sort of diagnostic did the Geek Squad offer to perform?

Louis

#5 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to an enclosure. I tried it on 3 different pcs and none were able to read the drive. That's pretty much all I did as far as the hard drive goes.

Geek Squad was going to do a diagnostic on the actual laptop itself to determine if it was still operational...because I had asked about just putting a new hard drive in it and using it.

As far as what I mean by the hard drive 'crashed', here's the story:

I came in one night and was just browsing facebook. The laptop froze. I restarted and it continued to freeze each time...each at a different point of startup. Once, I was able to bring windows completely up (XP), but when I tried to click on anything, it froze. That was the last time I got to see my desktop. Since then, it would not even load windows.
Roxio Go Back would come on start up instead, and try to fix the bad sectors (can't remember exact wording)...I let it do it, but it just froze. And that is when I determined the drive was shot and got myself an enclosure.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

If the laptop comes on & the only problem was the hard drive I would fix it.
The hard drive crashing should not have caused any physical damage to any other part.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

The geek squad guy mentioned something about the motherboard maybe messing up the hard drive. Is that something to be concerned about here?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

It really doesn't matter what Geek Squad said, since they did no system diagnosis. Hard drives do not need any help from any other system component...when it comes to malfunctioning :thumbsup:, so I would not tread down any path that someone introduced with such as the leadin.

IMO, the important thing is to see if the data on the hard drive can be accessed by recovery software/techniques...at this time.

The secondary goal should be to see if the system functions with a new/different hard drive.

Louis

#9 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

So I'm pretty much "hoping" the laptop will work with a new drive?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

For just about any computer situation...there's really only one way to test functionality/operabilty...and those usually involve something similar to "try it."

There is no guarantee that anything...anything...will work in the manner that a seller might have a user expect it to.

A wise person would not "hope" one way or another, he/she would just try it and see whether it works or not. Hope doesn't seem to have much of an impact on electronic parts, IMO.

If you don't want to test any premises, that's your choice of options.

Think of it this way...what's the point of assuming that it won't work with a new hard drive? Does that mean that you are going to buy a new system to replace the one that won't work? Would it not be prudent to know if it works...before deciding to shell out the money for a new system?

Then...there's always that Geek Squad offer that's outstanding.

BTW: A new hard drive can be obtained for less than $80.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2009 - 11:17 AM.

#11 jukey_23

jukey_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:19 AM

Point taken.

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users