Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive pain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stellabelch

stellabelch

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hi all, well the drives (I have two, one writer and one player) are recognised but are not behaving normally at all. I have had probs for some time and have just replaced both of them but things are the same (although the lower drawer comes out now! ie on the player) Sometime last year I had to take my PC in for repair due to a virus; the guy fitted a new HD and partitioned it, and around the same time I started to try and make DVD,s from my camcorder tapes (tapes but digital, transferred by Firewire). I had until today a number of DVD burner/authoring apps but have deleted all but Ashampoo 7, thinking there may have been conflicts.
I'll try and list the problems as best I can; firstly, when I put a normal shop bought CD in (either drive throughout unless stated otherwise), the tracks are shown (realplayer) as plain, unnamed icons and all are 44Mb long. The same applies to a home created CD . A commercial DVD will play (in windows Media Player) but when open is selected, the icons are displayed in the seperate chapters like a home made DVD and even then, the playback is poor, stalling every 3 seconds or so. I also tried my backup DVD's and they are unreadable; is this because of the repair mentioned earlier and my PC no longer recognises them?
The weird 44Mb thing seems to coincide with my teenage son's attempts to burn some bittorrent tracks to CD; when he did, about 5 tracks were burned before the CD was kicked out. I'm steps away from junking the whole PC caz I can't do the things I really wanted to do with it .(I'm still on XP while I think of it!)
Also while I'm here, less urgent but annoying nonetheless, the familiar XP boot up and off music has gone, along with the "bong" when you click the volume icon; now it's a very basic PC speaker bleep. Please help !!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:20 PM

I'm not a staff member but my first thought (especially given the bittorrent files, the fact that computer's sound scheme seems to have been reset, etc.) would be to check for malware.

When you say you computer makes a beep when it boots up -- is it just a single beep or a series? That could be a diagnostic.

#3 stellabelch

stellabelch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:01 AM

Hi there Capn Easy, thank you for your reply. Regarding the sound issue, they are two seperate "niggles"; when booting up there is no sound at all, and secondly if you find the little speaker icon in the lower bar and click on it to access the volume slider, if you then click the slider there is just a small PC speaker bleep instead of the (bong?) noise.
If it is malware it must be a resilient strain , I am borderline paranoid with security although chances are my son probably allowed all manner of crap in, as usual. Thanks again!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

my teenage son's attempts to burn some bittorrent tracks to CD

I would second that some malware scans are in order
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 stellabelch

stellabelch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi again, I have scanned my system with the apps that I have; Spybot, AdAware and I also run Zonealarm,AdAware adwatch, spybot teatimer but cannot see anything suspicious.In the past I used ace megacodecs pack,could this be a problem? Was considering reloading pc but not sure if I need a full XP disc, only have a recovery disc supplied with original HD, I suspect the (now defunct...) repair shop used the full disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users