Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP and drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

I figure this is the most relevant section, but if not, that's why they have "Move Thread" options. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I have this desktop that the hard drive went out on. Now the desktop has been donated to work. I got a new hard drive for it and installed XP. Everything going great until I try to plug in a Cat5 and realize that I don't have any drivers, because I couldn't find the cds that originally came with the comp.

So my question is, when I go back to work on Monday, armed with my lappy and a usb drive, what is the best way to discover what drivers I need, locate them, and install them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

Go to startmenu / run / type devmgmt.msc
In the new window click on your computer name at the very top and then click scan for hardware changes. You can also right click each hardware and check the properties. Also go to each hardware's or your computer's OEM website and try obtain drivers from there.

Genius12
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

As stated...go to the website of the system manufacturer (e.g., Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) and look up downloadable drivers for your specific model (e.g., Dimension 325).

That should reflect all downloads (drivers, BIOS updates, misc software) that apply to your model. Do not download BIOS updates or miscellaneous software, just get the drivers. I suggest downloading all listed as available and then burn them to CD.

Then, when you return home, you have all of them (even though you probably won't install all of them) to choose the ones you specifically need to install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users