Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

College Laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AmVicious

AmVicious

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

Ok, I heard this site from my cousin. He told me about the expertees of this community. We have a little knowledge about computers so I would like to ask a question regarding these for laptops:

Toshiba http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218093383615
HP http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218093004316
Gateway http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218093004316
Dell http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218100315411

I will be using it for:
Art Projects
Movies
Songs
Online Games
Home Works

Please state which exceeds the best in:
Price
Performance
Overall
And if you are in my situation whch would you get? or you can suggest another laptop that is not listed above.

I'm low on budget so i'm trying to get the best possible.
Thank you for future responses. I'm gonna buy one tomorrow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

You sent the gateway twice, and didn't include the hp, but of the 3, I would suggest the gateway. It had a decent processor, 4gb of ram, and a decent graphics card, especially for a basic laptop that you could do light gaming with.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

The Toshiba or the Gateway are what I would choose. Almost any laptop will do fine for art projects, songs, movies, home works, ect. Gaming nearly requires a graphics card, and those both have one, so thats all I think you really need.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 TechTeachings

TechTeachings

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

The Gateway appears to meet your requirements rather nicely. Decent amount of RAM, and okay video card for what you will be using, and a decent amount of storage.

Regards,
- Robb

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

I also suggest the Gateway, it is a solid and inexpensive notebook computer. Just don't do anything too crazy with it and it will work nicely.

3939.png

#6 AmVicious

AmVicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thank you guys. I think I am going to order the gateway as you guys suggested. Before I buy one any other recomendation anything that has a range of $700 below. I wanna get the best of my money. Thank you again. I knew you guys wont disappoint me as my cousin said.

Edited by AmVicious, 05 August 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

There are other options. In terms of what you get for the price, the Gateway is one of the best.

Here's an alternative.
Acer Aspire AS5739G-6132 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 15.6 - It has a better processor, graphics card, and weighs less. The only problem it is $50 over your budget.

3939.png

#8 AmVicious

AmVicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=4002

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...roductresources

how about this two which one is better.
Eventhough I dont know much about computer, I think DJBPace reccomendation is the best, is it online only or is it available on bestbuy and other electronic shops.?

Edited by AmVicious, 05 August 2009 - 11:19 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Your second option is not as good as the Acer, many of AMD's mobile chips aren't that good. Your first option, the Asus, has a better graphics card than either the Acer or the MSI. Because of the increased performance, that Asus laptop has limited battery life. Since you're not doing any hardcore video gaming, the graphics card is largely a small point. If you're going to be doing 3D modeling or CAD than the graphics card would be a more important issue. The Asus would be the better choice, but since it is refurbished, that price can only be found at TigerDirect.

3939.png

#10 AmVicious

AmVicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

Last thing sir. Can you give me the pros and cons of the asus and acer. according to the laptops above. thats my last thing sir. Does the DDR3 makes a lot of difference.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

There are differences between the Asus and the Acer, but they have more in common than not. DDR3 is a new memory standard that produces less heat, is slightly more efficient than DDR2, and consumes less power. For mobile platforms, this can lead to better battery life, but it does cost more. The Asus has the better graphics card. The Asus has the newer CPU that consumes a little less energy. The Acer has a fingerprint reader and weighs a little less. The warranty on the Asus is a little odd, TigerDirect lists the warranty at 3 months, but the Asus website says two years. This may be because it is refurbished. The Acer has a warranty for one year.

3939.png

#12 AmVicious

AmVicious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thank you sir DJBPace07 and to everyone who responded. All of you helpepd me expand my knowledge in laptop. I appreciate your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users