Before I got too far into it (and over my head), I wanted to confirm I'm going about it the right way.
Dell XPS 410
Windows XP Media Edition, R3
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
500 GB Seagate Baracuda (ST3500641AS) hard drive (SATA, RAID configured)
Iíve got the following discs (both of which came with the PC):
- Reinstallation DVD: MS Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2
- Dell Dimension ResourceCD (containing device drivers, diagnostics, and utilities)
1) It was recommended that I wipe the hard drive with a program like Active@ KillDisk, which I want to do to eliminate all traces of the trojan. Is there a problem that I'll be reinstalling with OEM discs? I wasn't sure if Dell preformatted their hard drives in some way before installing...
2) I have only one hard drive installed, but itís configured for RAID. I have a general sense of what that's for, but will wiping/reformatting affect that configuration? Once I start to reinstall, are there special considerations or extra steps I need to go through to deal with the RAID?
3) I do not have a floppy drive on my PC. Some of the descriptions Iíve read of the XP reinstall process indicate that the setup program looks for a floppy in the A: drive for drivers. Is it safe to assume Iíll be able to use the Dell Resource CD to load drivers during setup or that the necessary drivers included on the Reinstallation DVD?
Anything else I need to watch out for as I go through this daunting task?