Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nteresat

nteresat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

One week ago, one of my office computers was hit by lightning through the surge plug. The power supply box was destroyed. I replace with a new one but my computer still doesn't turn on. I tried switching the power supply wires that go to the cd and dvd diskettes but nothing works. It doesn't boot at all. The fans work but nothing else. I believe that the motherboard was destroyed by the lightning. 1. Is there a way to diagnosis that the motherboard gone?
2. Would you recommand installing a new motherboard and if you, where to I start?
3. Should I remove the hard drive and place into an older computer that I have? If so how do I get this computer to except this hard drive that's operating with Windows XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hi there is on the motherboard a reset switch or remove the battery ahd you will see a set of jumpers named, reset. reset this and reinstall your battery, to see if that works, does the fan that works come from the mother board.

Of course its a good idea to install a new motherboard, get a new one and you get the manuel and start up disc with it.

You can put your hard drive into another computer, but check first that it has enough memory, and up the ram.

Again remove battery and reset mother board then when you put the hard drive in and turn it on, windows xp will find and install itself.

I hope this helps you.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

Chances are everything on the motherboard and connected to it was fried. Looks like youll have to start brand new.

I dont think anything from the previous setup will work, except the fans and disk drives/harddrives.

Edited by Techsomething, 13 July 2005 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users