Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Does Not Display Login Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soperja

soperja

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I'm running Windows Vista and recently ran a Windows Automatic Update. The next time I started up my PC, however, it began to load windows, the icon showed up, and the startup sound played, but rather than the usual login screen it was just a blank, black screen with no mouse cursor.

My first step was to reboot, which had no effect.

Then I rebooted again, and when the blank, black screen was encountered, tried typing in my Windows password. This caused the screen to display my Desktop Wallpaper, but nothing else (no menu bar, no icons, nothing). If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del while the wallpaper is displayed, it goes back to the blank, black screen.

I then booted in Safe Mode without a problem and did a System Restore to just before the last Windows Update. The Restore proceeded and automatically restarted the PC. However, the same problem was encountered. I tried another System Restore to an earlier restore point, but the same problem was encountered.

I then tried booting using the Last Known Good Configuration option, but again the same problem.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Have you tried the Repair option via the Windows Installation DVD?

Boot up from DVD device

Press any key when prompt

Choose language in the wizard

Choose Partition

Choose Repair

Try Startup repair or the System restore :huh:

This has solved many things for me ! Good luck :huh:

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users