Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to the server

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem. I have done a search in the xp section and have not found any info on this problem, even though I am sure others have hit the same snag.

I had to reinstall Win XP pro on my Sony VGN-T150. I know that I am connected because I have gone to the Control Panel, Network Connections, and it shows that my ethernet to the DSL is connected and working (as it shows in the Device Manager). I have gone to Start, Run, and typed in cmd and then ipconfig. All that it returns is Windows IP Configuration without any information.

When I try to go to the internet, I get a "no connection to the Intenet is currently available" message. When I click on "Work Offline," it some times tell me to "click on connect." It then tells me that "no connection to the internet is available--click on "work offline."

I feel like I am going in a circle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

swtexas70

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

<<I know that I am connected because I have gone to the Control Panel, Network Connections, and it shows that my ethernet to the DSL is connected and working (as it shows in the Device Manager).>>

Maybe...

Go to Network Connections in Control Panel. Place the mouse on your connection. What IP info do you see in the left column?

What software does your ISP use (e.g. 2Wire)?

Louis

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

turn off computer. unplug power to DSL modem. wait 15 secs or so. power up DSL and allow it to get an outside connection. that means WAN (wide area network) light is on and not blinking. now power up computer.

other: ipconfig /all will give you more info like network adapter
ipconfig /release will get rid of your ip
ipconfig /renew after release will ask dsl for new ip

there is a space between ipconfig and / in all of these commands

#4 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info. When I place the mouse over the connection, all I see is 1394 connection LAN or High-Speed Internet Enabled. When I right click and look at the status, is indicates that I am connected, the duration that I have been connected, and the speed (400.0 Mbps). In activity, it is showing a sent of 0 and a received of 0.

Right now, I am directly connected on this laptop to the linksys router as is the compute that I am using to do this posting.

The ipconfig /all returns:

#5 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info. When I place the mouse over the connection, all I see is 1394 connection LAN or High-Speed Internet Enabled. When I right click and look at the status, is indicates that I am connected, the duration that I have been connected, and the speed (400.0 Mbps). In activity, it is showing a sent of 0 and a received of 0.

Right now, I am directly connected on this laptop to the linksys router as is the compute that I am using to do this posting.

The ipconfig /all returns:

#6 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

The ipconfig /all returns
Windows IP Configuration

and nothing else except C:\Documents and Settings>

Sorry about the dual post or incomplete whichever happened.

Thanks,

swtexas70

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I think you need to set your DSL connection up...anew.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

1394 is a firewire connection not ethernet. are you connected to router with firewire? does your linksys router have this capability ?
if no, then your ethernet card was not detected during install of xp if it is not listed under device manager
drivers for Sony VGN-T150 here
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu-list....NT150&LOC=3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users