Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Master Volume Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PBJ

PBJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hello....grrrr Im frustrated. I am hoping someone can help me. I have always been able to find the answers I need here.
:flowers: :thumbsup:
I am working on a friends laptop and about two weeks ago the master volume slider started dropping on its own to zero (the mute check never goes on though ...it just drops to zero). I have explored about 40 resolutions from software to hardware trying to correct the problem. Short of a complete re-install of OS.

things I have tried:
SOftware:
Un-installed about a dozen uneeded and possible conflicting software such as real players, limewire, ipod software, Itunes software.
-No avail
Un-installed and re-installed sound card drivers
-No Avail
Tried both system restore and hard disk restore
-No avail
Explored and removed several possible malicious software items through different parts of the C drive via DOS. Mostly these were mere browser assisters etc etc...(my browser is working much better now :trumpet: Heh..
-still no avail
Tried driver updates
-No avail
Tried every malicious removal tool i have (Hijack this, spybot, combofix...etc)
-No avail
Tried to restore regsitry and explored registry to make sure the volume was enabled
-No avail
Tried to shut off all computer functions (both msconfig and task manager items)besides explorer and windows access only
-No avail

Theres actually probably in the past two days more software issues (minor) besides these that I have tried also. None that I have not come across in a thread already as a possible solution.

Hardware:
HP has three buttons on the front casing of the laptop for volume control. Removed these keys and cleaned them thoroughly
-No avail
There is another music note key on the top of the keyboard housing and cleaned that
-No avail
There is no sound possibilities through either the laptops mouse or my usb ported HP mouse.
-again....no avail

My last option this weekend I am going to open up the laptop and try to find something called the periometer (or something like that), that adjusts certain functions on the laptop to compensate for humidity etc etc..hopefully that works. I really really do not want to back up files and re-install OS. Without a good flash drive or back up drive I have alot of music, word, and pictures to store to do this. I also really do not think I need to do this as the slider is acting on its own but its still acting. I have tried just about everything. If there is anything else anyone could send my way I would greatly appreciate it, as this auto-mute thing is really annoying and I need volume on this computer. I am on my own computer and not the laptop to post hijack this report with running processes and programs. If there is anyone that can help me please:)

Thank you,
-No avail
Internet Vampire=Reformatting...is the gift of immortality.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

Tried every malicious removal tool i have (Hijack this, spybot, combofix...etc

Hi ; IS this the complete list of the tools you have used on the computer to check for infections ?

You will of course be aware that HJT is primarily a diagnostic tool and not a malware-removing tool per ce .

Also that really ComboFix is NOT for use expect when so instructed by a Malware Expert ......

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. .

Can you perhaps clarify the list of tools you HAVE used? It might be useful to exclude an infection as the cause of this phenomena on the computer

if as you say it has had Limewire on it ( :thumbsup: ) ermm...

You have posted in the XP section so IS this an XP computer and what please is the current Resident Antivirus program ?

Edited by snowdrop, 31 July 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#3 PBJ

PBJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

The laptop has XP on it. I used Spybot, Combofix, Mbam, CCcleaner, Smitfraud, and also manually deleted some program files from DOS that I couldnt get out with manual add/remove or with CCcleaner.

I do appologize I had errors trying to update this new account with my email validation so I actually posted this issue again on laptop section of the forum.

#4 PBJ

PBJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

Oh yeah also I removed limewire as it has not been used on this puter for atleast a year. It had no infections but when I tried uninstal it tried to update itself. I removed all the lime wire software in the c drive after that. I read another thread about the master volume being controled by lime wire as well. It still didn't fix the problem by removing limewire but it was worth a shot and taking up space on my friends laptop either way for no reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users