Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BadAlbert

BadAlbert

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi,
My son allowed Windows Antivirus Pro to run on our pc, overriding Mcafee. I've spent the last few hours trying to get rid of it before I found you. Earlier (before getting rid of any of this prog's components) I was able to run a macafee scan, in the middle of this the pc shut down. I rebooted, after this some components of Windows Antivirus had gone (some remained such as the red around icons on desktop) but thereafter if I double click an icon it won't run and the 'select which programme to open this file' menu appears. Rundll32 is missing. So, this means that even if downloading Malwarebytes antimalware and trying to run it directly from the site it simply won't. I have it installed, and the .exe file is also on my machine but of course those meet the same problem. This also affects all other programmes. And obviously I can't system restore either. Any help would be truly appreciated. The source of the problem initially, Windows Antivirus Pro is mostly gone, it's the after effects I'm now trying to solve. Please help I'm being driven slightly mad :thumbsup:
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello, I am moving this from XP to the Am I Infected forum.

let's try Fatdcuk's fix.

Please navigate to the MBAM folder located in the Program Files directory.

Locate MBAM.exe and rename it to winlogon.exe

Once renamed double click on the file to open MBAM and select Quick Scan

At the end of the scan click Remove Selected and then reboot.

Post the scan log. The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 BadAlbert

BadAlbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hi, that didn't work, it just goes to the 'select which prog to open this file' menu again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

Ok,we will try this.. Get a new copy of MBAM..
NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 BadAlbert

BadAlbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

I can't run it without knowing which programme to open it with, I am aware that this an other programme block access to malwarebytes and other solutions but not sure that's what is happening, I think it's because the rundll file is missing/corrupt. Will keep trying what you suggest, and it's good to have help because I don't know how to sort this myself.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

Ok,fix that with..
sfc /scannow

You will need your XP CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK

#7 BadAlbert

BadAlbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

I get the same menu and it recommends AOL as the programme. I don't have an xp cd. I have disks I was prompted by the pc to make in order to return it to factory condition, but it also has that as a built in option. There never were xp disks.

#8 BadAlbert

BadAlbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Looks like I may have to. Such a pain, all for this crappy programme. Grr! Thanks for trying, I do appreicate your time and effort. Cheers.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hello again..
Please do a physical search (Windows Search from the Start Menu) to see if Rundll32.exe is actually present or not. Just because he is getting an error that it is missing doesn't always mean its missing.

Also,Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

Or
Please download sreng2.zip and save it to your Desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Sreng2 (C:\Sreng2) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to this link.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on SREngLdr.EXE to launch it.
  • Select System Repair from the left pane.
  • Click on File Association.
  • Select all entries that have an 'Error status' and click Repair.
  • Exit SREng and reboot the computer.
If that does not work, please see:Note: Some of these steps involve making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. ERUNT is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.

Edited by boopme, 31 July 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#10 BadAlbert

BadAlbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

I returned my pc back to factory condition which removed the thing, so problem solved, the long way round. Thanks again for trying :thumbsup:

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

You're welcome. many times that is the best solution.
Appreciate your telling us. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users