Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox passes billion milestone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

The open-source browser Firefox passed its billionth download on Friday, ahead of the release of its fourth iteration.

The milestone includes downloads of all versions of the web software since its first release in 2004.

Figures suggest that Firefox now has nearly one third of the browser market worldwide, at 31%.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer still dominates the field with around 60%, whilst Google's Chrome, Apple's Safari and Opera are all less than 5%.

Quoted story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8177829.stm

Thought this would be interesting to show everyone, As the title says Mozillas Firefox browser has passed the billion download mark, this is based on all versions downloaded since it's 2004 release.

And as the quote says above has since increased slightly in terms of usage Worldwide to 31%, so I would say well done Mozilla :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

If they are talking about individual downloads,

I may have personally downloaded quite a few since 2004 just for my use alone.

I've had at least 5 different PCs, reloaded the OS or a second OS on each at least once and this doesn't count the various newer versions of FX.

Just an observation - most likely if I had never downloaded it at all, they would have had to delay that "over a billion downloaded"

message for about 5 seconds or less!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 woodyblade

woodyblade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Yeah they are talking about individual downloads by the same person onto different computers as it says on the last couple of paragraphs in that article.

Automatic Updates don't count, so I assume it means each individual computer and then each individual OS after that.

As for the observation certainly right, 5 seconds extra if I hadn't :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users