Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq D510C searching for 2 - 1gb DIMM DDR 184pin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mol_Bolom

Mol_Bolom

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:40 AM

While searching around I had found a couple of 1gb ddr, however, after reading and reading and reading I found that they most likely wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I just don't know that much about the different kinds of memory and what all the numbers mean.

Anyway, these are the specs that I found at hp.

For proper system operation, if your system supports DDR-SDRAM DIMMs, the DIMMs must be industry-standard 184-pin, unbuffered PC1600 200 Mhz or PC2100 266 Mhz-compliant, 2.5 volt DDR-SDRAM DIMMs. The DDR-SDRAM DIMMs must support CAS latency 2 or 2.5 (CL = 2 or CL = 2.5). They must also contain the mandatory JEDEC SPD information. DIMMs constructed with x4 SDRAM are not supported; the system will not start using unsupported DIMMs.

After checking with dmidecode, my system is currently running 512mb at 266mhz, however, I don't know what kinds of DIMMs the chips are, but will turn it off and have a look at them after I'm done writing this.

So, is there a simple way to discern what kinds of memory I can use or not and simple terminology to use in google, or better yet a place to find this exact type of memory cheap, if possible?

This one seems like it would work, but the CAS latency is 3. Also, it states "128x4 X 2 DDR SDRAM CHIP CONFIGURATION", I don't know if that's the x4 SDRAM that are not supported in my computers specs. I do know that the speed is not important as long as it's not less than 200mhz.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-PC3200-DDR-184Pin-...id=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

The simplest way is to go to http://www.crucial.com/
Enter your computer make and model in their memory advisor tool and it will show you exactly what you need
Personally, I prefer Crucial, but I definitely wouldn't buy memory off of eBay
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mol_Bolom

Mol_Bolom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

I had my qualms about buying off of ebay, too. However, doing some searching, well, looks like I'll still be waiting then. $40 is just a bit much.

However, I purchased this computer off of ebay for $70 and it runs linux beautifully, so perhaps I'd get lucky again, ha ha. However, I don't trust my intuition on memory, so eh, I'll just do without.

Thanks...

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

You said the memory on ebay is ""128x4 X 2 DDR SDRAM CHIP CONFIGURATION" .

That is high density memory & will only work on motherboards with certain chipsets.
The ebay seller you posted the link to is like all of the other memory seller that flood ebay with multiple listings.
They all sell cheap odd ball me3mory that is made with chips that don't adhere to proper memory standards .
That is why the memory is so cheap.

Look herw for DDR PC2100 266MHz CL2.5 1GB ,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%28PC%202100%29

If you are running Linux [Ubuntu ?] you might buy just one & add it to what is in the unit.
Linux usually does well with 1GB or over.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Mol_Bolom

Mol_Bolom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

You said the memory on ebay is ""128x4 X 2 DDR SDRAM CHIP CONFIGURATION" .

That is high density memory & will only work on motherboards with certain chipsets.
The ebay seller you posted the link to is like all of the other memory seller that flood ebay with multiple listings.
They all sell cheap odd ball me3mory that is made with chips that don't adhere to proper memory standards .
That is why the memory is so cheap.

Thanks for that info.

Look herw for DDR PC2100 266MHz CL2.5 1GB ,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%28PC%202100%29

If you are running Linux [Ubuntu ?] you might buy just one & add it to what is in the unit.
Linux usually does well with 1GB or over.

Granted with the shipping costs, $2.99, would still bring it near $40, but I do believe I could scrounge for that amount.

Also, I had presumed I wouldn't need 2gb, using Slackware 12.2 with only 512mb and only have problems with flash, java running slow and openoffice starting, as well as certain levels in only a few games.

Out of curiosity, another question I have...

From dmidecode

CPU:
Max speed 3000mhz
Current speed 2000mhz
Does this mean my cpu can be overclocked to 3ghz or does it mean that the slot can be upgraded with a 3ghz cpu? I'm thinking this means it can be upgraded, but to be sure I might as well ask. I have been curious to understand and know how to overclock a CPU and what benefits doing such a thing would mean, but I'm not that worried about this, though. Finding CPU information is fairly easy, so no need for anyone to answer.

Again, thanks for your help...

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

It means the maximum cpu you can use is 3000MHz or 3.0GHz .

Being a "brand name" computer the motherboard is not going to have any overclocking features.

I don't know about Slackware but Ubuntu works well with 512MB or more.
It works really well with 1GB & over.
Ubuntu also has a add/remove that makes installing most apps/programs very easy.

I've tried probably every distro except Slackware so I can't make a good comparison
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Mol_Bolom

Mol_Bolom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

It means the maximum cpu you can use is 3000MHz or 3.0GHz .

Being a "brand name" computer the motherboard is not going to have any overclocking features.

Thanks.

I don't know about Slackware but Ubuntu works well with 512MB or more.
It works really well with 1GB & over.
Ubuntu also has a add/remove that makes installing most apps/programs very easy.

I've tried probably every distro except Slackware so I can't make a good comparison

Ubuntu is ok, but I prefer Slack because of many reasons. I do almost everything from a terminal or the console and build a lot of my programs from source. It makes it easier to modify something if there's a problem with the program, and after learning about a program called makepkg, makes it so much easier. Even though ubuntu has the same capabilities and I had tried to run it and xubuntu many times, I never found them as easy to use as slack based distros, of course that is from the noob perspective which I am no longer at that stage, I think. Then again, though, I had used DOS for about ten years up until 2001 when I finally made the switch to windows, so when I made the switch to linux in Oct of last year I found myself lost in nostalgia as I swam through the console and dove into dwm (a window manager that one has to compile in order to make changes to it).

One thing that I might do, though, since I have my wife's computer dual booted with Zenwalk 5.2, after I change the graphics card for the nvidia 8600 that we ordered (The reason I couldn't spend so much for the memory I wanted for this machine) I am going to give Ubuntu another trial again on that machine.

Eh why not, here's an example of what Slackware's like, at least to someone who's only used it for a few months, someone who's used it longer might know an easier way to do this. Midnight Commander comes precompiled with the slackware CD and Slackbuilds didn't have it on the site. Well, it no longer worked well with my locale changed to utf8, so I needed to change it somehow. Therefore I went to the site, downloaded the latest source and compiled it with "./configure --root-directory /mnt/hdb/main", then "make", then "make install", then "cd /mnt/hdb/main", then "makepkg mc-4.6.2.tgz", and finally su -c "installpkg mc-4.6.2.tgz". Some might find that a little overboard, but eh, I find that fun. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users