Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Website Link Checker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rickboo

rickboo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hey all, here is a handy little addon that some might like. It scans the website you want to enter for all kinds of viruses and malicious programs before you enter it. Just right click link you want to visit and select, scan with Dr. Web Linkscanner. Just give it a few seconds to scan and it will show the site as clean or not. I believe that it is only availiable right now for the Mozilla FireFox, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers. http://www.freedrweb.com/browser/

Edited by rickboo, 31 July 2009 - 08:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

??Have you actually tried this ?

Problem is it involves a Registry Editor

Download file drweb-online-ru.reg in your language and double click it. A registry editor window will appear. Press “OK” to confirm you want to edit the registry

plus an application to uninstall which also involves the use of a Registry Editor ; I do not think this site will endorse such an application :thumbsup:

#3 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yes i have tried it, i have been using it for awhile now and have had no problems. Users choice to try or not.

#4 KonamiYoto

KonamiYoto

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

I do not recommend downloading ANYTHING that messes with the registry. Neither does BC. It tinkers with the registry, and since it is an unknown publisher, it could mess something up and your PC might be screwed.

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

Problem is it involves a Registry Editor

I think this is just the version for IE, an add-on is available for Firefox.

I use the online version every now and then;

Dr.Web LinkChecker

A few other online link/site checkers, all of which also have downloadable versions;

Finjan URL Analysis
LinkScanner Online
WOT (Web of Trust)
Browser Defender
McAfee SiteAdvisor
Norton Safe Web

Somewhat related:

NoVirusThanks, a site similar to Virustotal and Jotti, now has a option which allows you to scan files up to 20MB with 22 antivirus engines before you download them :thumbsup: .
http://scanner.novirusthanks.org/

PS: Dr.Web is a well known and reputable company.

Edit: Added text.

Edited by RedDawn, 31 July 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

IMHO I don't use anything that scans, changes or any thing else to my registry from the web. I let my internet security program do it's job and right now it is Kaspersky. To the best of my memory B/C doesn't recommend using any thing that messes with your registry with out the guidance of a pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users