Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any networking advice for a new build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luke80

luke80

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

As part of a new build to extend a church, the parish office is being moved and networking services are being upgraded.

The layout I was thinking about was as follows:

Assuming the broadband connection comes in one corner of the site, a router going to an unmanaged switch for 3 PCs, a printer or 2 and maybe a wireless access point, with the remaining connection travelling 30-40m under the new build to the other end of the development with another switch for a further 3/4 PCs and a printer or 2. I was thinking that providing the extra expense wasn't excessive to suggest gigabit connections + CAT 6 ethernet cables to keep up with modern standards and not have to upgrade later on. It was thought fibres would be too expensive as the limit of copper cables is 100m, well above the limit we would need. Any advice - would one switch be better? is an additional firewall necessary? Would it work?! Firewall needed?

I have no idea about the other telecommunications (i.e. telephones - capable of internal + external calls) although I have heard of a system which incorporates a phone with an ethernet cable coming out the back of the phone into a computer. Has anyone on here got any information about that?

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

interesting project luke and beyond my knowledge of what is up to date.
1 i would use the two switches to save wiring.
2 one firewall would be fine unless you are setting these up as separate networks. each with there own firewall and router.
3 yes it will work
4 yes firewall needed, IPCop is good, but tricky for wireless setup

#3 luke80

luke80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:52 AM

Thanks a lot. I would guess the firewall would go between the broadband router and the first switch.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

you can buy an all in one unit , router with built in firewall, switch, and wireless access point
firewall and router are usually combined in one machine. firewall makes your network "invisible" to rouge attempts to access your network from the internet (i.e. hackers)
good info here http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30336/229/
ask yourself:
if you are setting this up for people to surf the net your security needs would be much lower than if this network is going to contain personal information on parishioners and financial church records

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users