Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not boot up again!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hammy1708

hammy1708

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hi again,

We had a short loss of power and now my PC will not boot up. It starts and I get the following message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was inturrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with network
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice"

It automatically goes to the 'start windows normally' option, it counts down 30 seconds, goes black, I then get the windows XP screen, black, the E-machines screen and then it starts all over again with the message above and the 30 second count down.

I've tried moving the highlight to all of the other options and the same happens. I've tried holding in the power button and rebooting and even turned the power of again, all to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:55 AM

I've tried moving the highlight to all of the other options and the same happens.

You are hitting Enter to select the options right?

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 hammy1708

hammy1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Blade Zephon - Yes, I am hitting the enter button. I've done it on each option.

Shanmugam - Will try that when I get home (currently at work using work PC)

Thanks for your help.

Craig

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

I would like you to try using "Last known good configuration .... " several times ... try it 10 times before giving up on this option as a means of getting your system up and running again. After a simple power failure, I would be expecting this option to allow you to load Windows normally after 2, maybe 3 or 4 attempts at the most.

Don't ask me why .... I just know that sometimes it does work!

Good luck.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Blade Zephon - Yes, I am hitting the enter button. I've done it on each option.

Hope you weren't offended by the rather simplistic question. The way you worded your initial post made me wonder, and I just needed to clarify. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 hammy1708

hammy1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

Blade Zephon - No not offended, don't worry! If anyone was going to miss something obvious like that it would be me and if it had been that and it had worked I would have been most grateful!

AustrAlien - Thanks, will give it a try tonight and update you tomorrow of the wifes lapton (which I hate!, anything without a mouse tropubles me!)

Thanks

Craig

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

After any power failure...it's a good idea to run the chkdsk /r command on the system partition...due to the likelihood of damaged files.

Since you cannot boot into XP, this should be done from the Recovery Console of the Microsoft XP install CD.

If you don't have a Microsoft XP install CD, you can download an .iso version of the Recovery Console and burn it to CD.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Once you have the .iso file burned to CD, it is bootable. Change the boot options in the BIOS so that the system boots from the optical drive (after having inserted the CD)...and reboot the system. You will then have access to the Recovery Console.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#8 hammy1708

hammy1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

Hi all,

Okay

AustrAlien - Tried the "last known good configuration...." at least 20 times. No joy.

Shanmugam - I did the "last known good configuration..." but someone at work told me to hit F8 to get the "disable automatic...." option. I did that and got the blue screen. What now??

Hamluis - I'm a bit simple and need things in very simple terms and I'm a little confused!. Happy to try anything however and will take a look - Thanks

Thanks for all your advice everyone, it is appreciated

Regards

craig

#9 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

What os the error message you get on the blue screen?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#10 hammy1708

hammy1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

Hi,

The blue screen reads

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask our hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software . Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8AA37900, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Hope this makes sense to someone!

Thanks

Craig

#11 hammy1708

hammy1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi again,

Going nuts here, nothing is working.

Hamluis - I downloaded the file, burned it to disc and the PC takes no notice after I insert and rstart. I also managed to mind my XP disc and tried that, nothing.
just the same message as at the start of this topic.

I also tried removing all wires, connections USB's etc and rebooting just in case, no difference at all. I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

HELP

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

This disk you keep mentioning...is it a Microsoft XP install CD? Or is it some sort of recovery/restore disk provided by your system manufacturer?

Speaking of that...who is the system manufacturer and what is the model?

FWIW: The recommended solution to Unmountable Boot Volume error messages...is running chkdsk /r, as I suggested.

The system will only boot from an optical drive...if the boot options in the BIOS are changed to direct it to do so. Have you tried to do such?

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom Not every BIOS is the same, but this provides a general idea.

Louis

#13 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

hammy1708:

hamlouis has you headed in the right direction...you have to be able to boot from a CD or DVD drive any time a hard drive is unavailable in order to restore your system. Can you boot from an XP cd?

If you can, there are ways you can bring your system back to life, but you need to chain it all together:
  • You have to be able to boot from an XP CD to be able to restore your system.
  • If you can boot, use the recovery console option to run chkdsk to test your hard drive for integrity
  • If your hard drive checks out okay, fixmbr can restore your master boot record
  • If you can restore the master boot record, fixboot can restore the boot options.
  • If you restore your boot options and everything else checks out okay (i.e.:your installation directory isnt corrupt) you should be able to restart you computer and XP should work.
If you haven't yet figured out how to make your CD drive boot first (before anything else), start there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users