Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys corrupt or missing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 freedom lover

freedom lover

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I recently got this message upon restarting my computer:

Window could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

it happened shortly after being infected with malware, and I was receiving assistance from the guys on the malware board here....this is the post where this error began, so you have some history of what has been tried in an attempt to fix the issue:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1361135

I found a windows xp disk, but it would not allow me to copy the file from the disk...it said 'access denied'...but I don't think it makes a difference, because we already copied the original file from the ServicePack folder, and it did not fix the issue...

I appreciate the help...and am hoping to get this computer back up and running shortly...because I have a lot of work to do in order to meet a deadline, and that computer is vital in doing so...

many thanks

Edited by freedom lover, 31 July 2009 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

Firstly, you should try restoring from restore points, that's if you have any. You could also try to repair your system files, by attempting this.

1) First, insert the 'Windows XP CD', in your computer.

2) Then, go to, startmenu / run / type in sfc /scannow.(With the gap between c and /.)

3) When the window appears, it will repair your system files from the xp cd.

4) If you have the xp cd already in and still any dialog box appears saying that 'Insert xp pro/home cd to continue', just click OK. And the process wil continue.

RESTART, for the changes to take effect.

If still no difference, then I've attached a Ntfs.sys file copy from my computer, and if still no difference from the above procedure, then you could try to download and place the Ntfs.sys file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder.

Hopefully, you can now get back in business.  :thumbsup:

Attached Files

• Attached File  ntfs.zip   295.83KB   272 downloads

Edited by genius12, 31 July 2009 - 12:50 AM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#3 freedom lover

freedom lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

Firstly, you should try restoring from restore points, that's if you have any.

starting from last know good configuration was not successful...

Then, go to, startmenu / run / type in sfc /scannow

there is no start menu...just a black screen with the error message....

If still no difference, then I've attached a Ntfs.sys file copy from my computer, and if still no difference from the above procedure, then you could try to download and place the Ntfs.sys file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder.

we tried copying ntfs.sys from the servicepack folder (using the windows recovery console), which was not successful:

copy C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ntfs.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys

this led Ried to believe that it was being caused by something else...possibly ram errors...

thank you for the suggestions though... :thumbsup:

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

freedom lover

Continuing on from post #55 of the former thread .... I asume that you would like to test your RAM at this time.

Boot using the memtest86+ disc and allow it to run .... it will run until you press the Escape key to stop it, at which time the system will attempt to reboot normally. For any sort of meaningful result, the test should be allowed to complete at least 7 full passes ..... and for a completely reliable test, it should be allowed to run for 24 hours. There should be NO errors what-so-ever.

Download memtest86+ bootable .iso file: http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

OR ... the memtest86+ home page for all versions, including for floppy and USB device:
http://www.memtest.org/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

I don't think a memory test has anything to do with this. Anyways, since there is no startmenu, then you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del which will open task manager. Click File at the top and select 'new task (Run)', then type in sfc /scannow and follow the rest of the procedure I already told you in the previous post.

#6 freedom lover

freedom lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

freedom lover

Continuing on from post #55 of the former thread .... I asume that you would like to test your RAM at this time.

Boot using the memtest86+ disc and allow it to run .... it will run until you press the Escape key to stop it, at which time the system will attempt to reboot normally. For any sort of meaningful result, the test should be allowed to complete at least 7 full passes ..... and for a completely reliable test, it should be allowed to run for 24 hours. There should be NO errors what-so-ever.

Download memtest86+ bootable .iso file: http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

OR ... the memtest86+ home page for all versions, including for floppy and USB device:
http://www.memtest.org/

I saved the Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) to a usb flash drive...but how do I get it to run?

#7 freedom lover

freedom lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

I don't think a memory test has anything to do with this. Anyways, since there is no startmenu, then you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del which will open task manager. Click File at the top and select 'new task (Run)', then type in sfc /scannow and follow the rest of the procedure I already told you in the previous post.

windows does not load, so start menu or task manager are not available...the only thing I can choose from is the windows recovery console or to boot windows (which loads the error listed in my first post)...

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

I saved the Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS) to a usb flash drive...but how do I get it to run?

On the computer that you downloaded the file onto .... run the file by double-clicking it .. unless of course you are using Vista and then it is right-click and "Run as Administrator" ...... and point it toward the usb device. It will create a bootable usb device to perform the memory test ... but I suspect it will want to format the usb device first ... so you had better not have anything else on it at the time.

OR... maybe just read the directions if I haven't got it quite right for a usb device (I personally haven't ever created a bootable usb device with memtest86+) ... I have always used a floppy ... but I realise that option is becoming a rarity these days.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 freedom lover

freedom lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:15 AM

On the computer that you downloaded the file onto .... run the file by double-clicking it .. unless of course you are using Vista and then it is right-click and "Run as Administrator" ...... and point it toward the usb device. It will create a bootable usb device to perform the memory test ... but I suspect it will want to format the usb device first ... so you had better not have anything else on it at the time.

okay...I will need to wait until the morning, so I can get administrator access on this computer...since it isn't mine, and I don't have the password...but I will post my results once I get that completed...thank you...

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

I don't get it...if the prescribed fix for this error...is a repair install...why is everyone suggesting something else?

Windows will normally prescribe the best remedy and the easiest...for whatever is wrong.

Louis

#11 freedom lover

freedom lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

I don't get it...if the prescribed fix for this error...is a repair install...why is everyone suggesting something else?

Windows will normally prescribe the best remedy and the easiest...for whatever is wrong.

Louis

yeah...that did not work...

I have decided to restore my c drive back to factory settings...this problem has already cost me too much valuable time...I now have 3 days left before my deadline, and have lost more than a week to these problems...so the time it takes to reinstall some programs, or to lose a few files, seems a much more valuable use of my time...

well....I thank you guys for trying to help...and hope that somebody reading this, whom has similar problems, will be able to solve it quicker and easier than I have...

with peace,
freedom lover

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Well...if you didn't have a Microsoft XP CD...which is the basis for a repair install...I can understand why that would not solve your situation.

Recovery/restore CDs are not capable of being substituted for a fix which calls for a MS install CD.

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you don't have sp2 then you could try to download sp3 and that should then install the file that you need. And since you only have access to the recovery console which didn't help, then you could try to get UBCD and using that the instructions are available on the website. Just do a google search.

Also, since replacing the file didn't work from the servicepackfiles folder, then you could still try to download the ntfs.sys I've uploaded to mediafire. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?muensm0vwjm. I know it didn't work for you by replacing but from the website I got this file is the one from where I could I got my rundll32.exe file as well. Because rundll32.exe got deleted from my computer and it didn't work from anyone else's computer. So then I found this site and they had it and it worked! So would you still give it a try. Also the website from where I got it from is very useful for obtaining deleted system files, regardless of their extension. No matter if it's a .dll,.exe,.sys you're most likely to find there. I got many files from this website that were deleted from my computer. The website is : 4shared.com

And also the downloads on this website are malware-free! They've all been scanned with kaspersky before being added to the downloads. It's a very useful website.

Genius12

Edited by genius12, 31 July 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#14 dtrix

dtrix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

I have the same problem ..hope your instruction works...i have to copy the file ntfs i guest coz i dont have the installer T_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users