Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp disk defragmenter.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Dick Hill

Jimmy Dick Hill

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

When I try to start windows disk defragmenter it says defragmenter could not start. What can I do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

I can't help with a repair solution but can suggest a replacement.
I used the independent reviews of freeware at TechSupportAlert to download & install a free alternative. I was using SmartDefrag but may now change to the top selection MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag).

TechSupportAlert is indpendent and free of ads pop-ups etc & all freeware is free & legal to use:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-...-fragmenter.htm

#3 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

I don't think you should be using the built-in windows defrag utility. It is firsot of all not that good at defragging, doesn't have any file placement, meaning doesn't place files in the area where disk has optimal performance. It also doesn't deep defrag. And doesn't delete temporary files. And it also lacks many other features and doesn't prevent fragments that much either.

So get one of these utilities: MyDefrag (formerly known as JkDefrag)

SmartDefrag

Both of these are free and the best defragmenters. Though I recommend SmartDefrag because in tests, it has been to give optimal performance even when compared to commercial defragmenters. It also has deep defrag, optimal disk performance by file placement, automated defrag, defrag multivolumes. It also prevents more fragments than any other defragmenter. For the defragmenter comparison, click here: http://www.iobit.com/Images/isdcompare.gif

Edited by genius12, 31 July 2009 - 01:16 AM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#4 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

I don't think you should be using the built-in windows defrag utility. It is firsot of all not that good at defragging, doesn't have any file placement, meaning doesn't place files in the area where disk has optimal performance. It also doesn't deep defrag. And doesn't delete temporary files. And it also lacks many other features and doesn't prevent fragments that much either.

So get one of these utilities: MyDefrag (formerly known as JkDefrag)

SmartDefrag

Both of these are free and the best defragmenters. Though I recommend SmartDefrag because in tests, it has been to give optimal performance even when compared to commercial defragmenters. It also has deep defrag, optimal disk performance by file placement, automated defrag, defrag multivolumes. It also prevents more fragments than any other defragmenter. For the defragmenter comparison, click here: http://www.iobit.com/Images/isdcompare.gif

Edited by genius12, 31 July 2009 - 01:16 AM.

" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#5 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Using another tool is what I call for this situation "A Bandage to hide the issue". There is a reason why defrag wont start and its important that you find out. Yes, you can use what was suggested. I use JKDefrag, now its called MyDefrag. It runs great.

How much space do you have left in your hard drive?

You should try running chkdsk. If there are problems it will tell you to run chkdsk /f in which case it will run right after windows starts up. This will check your hard drive to make sure there are no physical or file structure issues.

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:31 AM

Jimmy:

When Defrag does not start, it usually means you need to check your hard drives for consistency (file damage). Try the following from a command prompt:

chkdsk c: /f

This will check your hard drive for errors. Simply change c: to whatever drive letter you need to check.

If it asks you to check the disk on next reboot, answer yes.

Hope this helps.

#7 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

Jimmy:

chkdsk c: /f

Good one, I forgot to add the specifics.

You "may" have to run this a few times if the issue is severe.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

FWIW:

You don't have to specify the C: partition in the command...if the system files are on C: and that is the partition you want the chkdks to run on. C: is the default if no other partition is specified.

Running the chkdsk /r command is more efficient than running the chkdsk /f command. The /f function is included in those performed by chkdsk /r, which also scans for and recovers file data which may be on hard drive bad sectors.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users