Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TSquared

TSquared

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hi, I just replaced my CPU Fan in my Compaq Presario desktop with an 80mm Antec case fan, it runs just fine but when I boot my computer I get this error message: "CPU Fan failed. Press F2 to continue booting, otherwise, system will shut down in 5 seconds."

Obviously I can just boot by pressing F2, but is there any way to get rid of this message?

TSquared

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

If the original fan had a 4 pin connector & the one you used has a 3 pin connector that will cause a error message,
If the original fan had a 3 pin connector the fan you used is causing an error message because it needs to spin at the exact same speed as the original.
In any case you should be able to go in the BIOS & find a setting to disable the fan warning.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 TSquared

TSquared
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

Alright, thanks. Just another quick question, should a cpu fan blow onto the heatsink or draw hot air away from the heatsink? Right now I have it blowing fresh air brought it from the back fan onto the heatsink and cpu.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

the in/out is generally a matter of preference.
I like the air blowing in on the heatsink.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users