Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems booting up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laradawn

laradawn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

i am not very computer savy but i have an hp pavilion laptop with widows xp that is no longer turning on all the time. it sits on the hp logo sreen for a long time and then just goes to a blank screen with a blinking white cursor in the left hand corner. if i try to run a hardware dianostic when its not working it says "there is no IDE device". Also if i disconnect the battery it seems to work. one tec i have talked to thinks its a software problem. i reinstalled my windows from the disks i made when i first got my computer thre years ago. problem still occurs. another tech thinks its the board. what do u think. board, software or battery?
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

It's definitely a hardware problem. 

Go into the BIOS, at startup. (For most it's the F2 key that you have to press at startup to enter the BIOS.) Though it should say at the boot logo screen about what key to press to enter the BIOS/System Settings.

There make sure that your hard drive and correct IDE drives are enabled and selected.

Genius12
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users